London, Jo'burg, Kruger, Durban, Transkei


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Gauteng » Johannesburg
June 10th 2007
Published: June 10th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hey everyone!! Not much internet access here, so this will be short and sweet - the pics will speak for themselves. Left Hali June 3rd after writing our last final and moving apartments. Missed a flight to Qatar. Spend a day in London because of it.

Got to Johannesburg June 5th with my travel buddies, Chris Nash and Erin Palmer. Went on safari to Kruger National Park. It was freezing (we slept in treehouses), but beautiful - saw lots of animals, ate delicious meals, hung out with the South Africans, good times. June 9th we had an intense day in Jo'burg - google apartheid if you want to understand why we visited these places. First went to top of Africa (tallest building in continent - apparently). Then went to Soweto (South Western Townships), largest township in South Africa with almost 5 million people all living in extreme poverty. Visited Soweto Kliptown Youth (SKY), a great organization that does things like feeds the school children breakfast so they don't go hungry. Also visited the museum on the June 16, 1976 Soweto student uprising, saw where it happened, saw Orlando West High School and where 13 year old Hector Pieterson was shot, Desmond Tutu's house, Winnie Mandela's house, then Winnie drove by us while we were visiting Nelson Mandela's house. Also went to Hector P. square/memorial/museum and the Regina Mundi Chruch with its chipped altar and bulletholes still in the roof. We then went to the apartheid museum where we were given cards declaring our race and segregated to using the doors etc specifically for that race (black, white, coloured, etc.). Learned lots of history, was shocked at all the injustice that white people have spread when they 'colonized' countries such as this one. Amazing stories though, great day. Flew to Durban that night.

June 9th/10th - Durban. Lots of walking along pretty Florida St. Went to biggest mall in Africa. One block very rich, next dirt poor. Did crazy/beautiful drive through the Transkei/Wild Coast region to Port St. John's. On the way, visited Chief Faku after buying his village lots of supplies and some treats for the kids at Gateway. Our car was so packed I couldn't even see Chris sitting beside me. The Chief's rural village has a hospice for children orphaned by AIDS, some AIDS patients (that were literally on their death bed when we visited, wasting away), and they have no electricity or running water. In process of getting a well, and they built a new building to house the orphans. Wished we could have given them more. Getting to be a common feeling. Almost died on drive to Port St. John's, curviest road ever through the mountains, got lost so we were still driving after dark, would turn a corner and face a herd of donkeys in the middle of the road - scary! Lots of bush burning going on too. Hostel in Port St. John's was great, on a hill overlooking the beach, hammocks, bongos, bonfires, very homey. First swim in Indian ocean! I think? Lots of monkeys around. Left to continue through Transkei, crossed the Kei River into Ciskei. Lots of rondavelles - like in '3 needles'. Got to East London before dark - lovely city!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0406s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb