Soweto


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Gauteng » Johannesburg
May 1st 2018
Published: May 1st 2018
Edit Blog Post

Mandela’s memorial Mandela’s memorial Mandela’s memorial

In his garden in Soweto
Full day in Soweto township today. Although we knew what to expect, the reality of the poverty is still an eye opener. Saw equal in Peru and Laos but not as crowded as here. 4-6 living in single room tin shack in small yard with maybe another 4-6 shacks. That is 20-30 living in about half a tennis court! And no electricity. Communal standpipes. Toilet hut shared by 30-50. Most unemployed but eek out living collecting garbage for recycling for about £3 day. No police or ambulance will enter compounds but they have a communal moral code and look after each other. And as in previously visited areas, the kids are all happy and friendly, even without screens or bought toys. Even happier in my opinion. We never felt in the slightest threatened, but felt very guilty to be in our privileged position merely by an accident of birth. A later visit to the home of the Mandelas and the Apartheid Museum once again reminded us of the greed cruelty, and arrogance of the human condition. In this case the whites, but in other cases just neighbours who want more land, resources, or to impose their ‘civilisation’ or concept of deity on others.
But here in South Africa at least, things are improving and the locals are optimistic for their future.
Tomorrow we head for the Kruger and will hope to witness more civilised behaviour from the other animal species who call that their home. We hope they will respect us as much as we respect them. We won’t eat them if they promise not to eat us. I’m told that you don’t have to run fast. Just faster than the slowest of our group! Fingers crossed ??


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

6 Happy Soweto Children. 6 Happy Soweto Children.
6 Happy Soweto Children.

And Mum doing the family laundry. Their single room hut behind them
Delivery Delivery
Delivery

Not Amazon. That was the previous trip.


2nd May 2018
Delivery

Glad you arrived safe. Looks hot. Its currently raining here.

Tot: 0.041s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.024s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb