Maids and Ehsan's Memorial


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Gauteng » Johannesburg
October 28th 2006
Published: November 4th 2006
Edit Blog Post

I talked with Iraj and Karin’s maid, Christine. Many people have maids and gardeners, at least part time, in southern Africa. When I have talked with the maids and told them that few people in America have maids, they are always surprised. Another thing that surprises them is that we left America; isn’t it so wonderful? I always tell them that there are good and bad things about every place, and we like South Africa. We are also hopeful for the progress of this country that is trying so hard, making mistakes along the way, but not giving up on making a new society with opportunities for all. Christine has two children, aged 8 and 11, who are cared for by her cousin during the week while Christine is working. She goes home for most of the weekend. I explained that many women in America work full time, take care of the house, and take their children to daycare. Life in America is not necessarily easier than life in South Africa.

Today we planned to visit three places listed for rent (“flats to let”), but one of our tires was flat because of a nail. No flats, due to a flat. Bob and the gardener changed it, and we managed to get the tire repaired quickly enough to visit one of the places. It was a small garden flat, which is a separate building in back of a main house, but it appears too small to hold the sculpture, and parking is very limited. We liked the people very much, though, and will call them back tomorrow.

Later we went to a memorial service at the National Bahá’í Centre for an elderly man we met while in East London. Ehsan had passed away just 5 days after we met. It was very touching; one of the daughters read a synopsis of his life, and then we learned that he had been imprisoned in Iran at the time of the revolution, while at the same time his daughter was being married in South Africa. At the time, neither knew what was happening with the other, because communication for Baha'is in Iran is very difficult. Years later, his son-in-law was one of the people killed in Ciskei, and he and his wife and youngest daughter came to live in South Africa to support the family. It is difficult to imagine the courage it takes to learn that a family member was politically murdered, and have that be the impetus to relocate your family to the place where it happened, to live and serve as a positive example. Another daughter read a poem she had written about her last moments with him, as he lay dying. We were so moved by it and gained even greater admiration for our Persian friends.

In the evening, Iraj and Karin were out, and Katya was at a friend’s house, so Bob and I stayed with Nadya and watched the latest version of the Phantom of the Opera. It was very well done. Then I showed Nadya some family photos on the computer, and when Iraj and Karin came home, showed them as well. We have really enjoyed getting to know them.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0511s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb