preparations for SA


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Gauteng » Johannesburg » Soweto
September 7th 2010
Published: September 7th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Tuesday, 7 September 2010
Preparations for South Africa.!!

Well preparations are under way, injections, insurances, trains, coaches, toys, games, wipes!! you name it its on the list!!!
A little bit abour the place/ places we'll be working in:

Othandweni Children’s Home (also referred to as OT) is a residential care facility for 30 babies and toddlers and 60 older children and teenagers. Othandweni means “Place of Love” and its primary aim is to provide residential care to babies, toddlers and children from the ages of birth to 18 years. Many of these children are abused, abandoned, neglected, AIDS orphans or are infected with the HIV virus and so require constant attention.
The Centre comprises of two sections - the nursery and the cottages. The nursery provides care, stimulation and protection for the 30 babies and toddlers it has the capacity to take in. Where necessary the children are nursed back to health while waiting for adoption, foster care or re-unification with their families. The five cottages are divided into age groups ranging between 5 and 18 years old. There are 12 children allocated to each cottage and although the children are under the supervision of a child-care worker, the cottages have their own kitchens so the children can learn to cook and clean for themselves.

The Masibambisane Centre (also referred to as Masi) which is 8km away from Othandweni in an area called Kliptown made famous by the mass uprisings in June 1976. It was opened in 2003 by Elton John to address the growing number of children orphaned by the HIV/AIDS pandemic. The centre provides day-time care for some 200 orphaned children and enables orphaned children to continue operating as a family unit in their own environment, after losing their parents or guardians. A wide range of services is provided by social and childcare
workers, enabling a child-headed household to function. The children receive one balanced meal a day and are able to bath or shower and wash their clothes. Homework is supervised and outings are arranged. Social and child-care workers monitor their physical and emotional well-being and allocate resources such as school uniforms, blankets and (when available) food for the weekend.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0388s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb