Seeing a Sun Dog


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Gauteng » Johannesburg » Roodepoort
November 1st 2010
Published: June 17th 2017
Edit Blog Post

01 Sun Dog01 Sun Dog01 Sun Dog

The Sun Dog as we saw it from the backyard.
Geo: -26.153, 27.8657

This morning I met Paul's friend Lindin, who came over for a visit. We were all called outside by Paul's parents to see something strange. It was called a 'sundog'. It looked like a double round rainbow that went around the sun. It was an amazing sight. I had never seen one before. At first the rainbow colours were quite bright and then it slowly faded. We had a look on the internet and the TV. The news reports were calling it an infrequent phenomenon. It was only visible in Johannesburg. People who were interviewed on the TV gave a variety of responses to their interpretation of its appearance.

The three of us then went for a drive to one of the ponds in the estate. Here we saw water lilies, many tadpoles, Red Bishops and Yellow Masked Weavers. The tadpoles were coming up for air in groups. Another strange sight for me today!

Next place for the day were the botanical gardens. In the pond we saw a terrapin and a frog- which was hard to spot among the slimy green plants. We walked to the waterfall and then Paul decided that we should climb to the top of
02 Sun Dog02 Sun Dog02 Sun Dog

Part of the two rainbow rings around the sun.
the adjoining ridge. That sounded like hard work and no fun to me. Sure enough after a few minutes I was complaining that my knees were hurting. I hadn't exercised much lately (or ever) and I was suffering. Paul then told me that we were half way. This sounded like good news to me. Then a minute later we reached the top. I forgave him for lying and was glad that the uphill walk was over.

From here we could see the whole surrounding area, including his parent's estate and the botanical gardens. There were two colourful agamas that were happy to pose for us as we snapped away and took lots of photos. We walked down and had a cold drink break at the cafe. Nearby there was one of the garden's many tortoises munching away on grass.

On our way back to the car we stopped in at the Sasol Hide to see what was happening. It was just the usual crowd- Red Bishop, Yellow Masked Weaver and Hadeda. Just outside of the hide I saw some friendly butterflies and took some great close shots of them. Another nice day out at the gardens in the gorgeous weather.


Additional photos below
Photos: 42, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

03 Sun and Dog03 Sun and Dog
03 Sun and Dog

Part of the sun and the sun dog.
04 Hiding Behind the Branch04 Hiding Behind the Branch
04 Hiding Behind the Branch

The sun hiding behind the branch.
05 Pond05 Pond
05 Pond

The pond in the estate with lots of lily pads and a few flowers.
06 Tadpoles06 Tadpoles
06 Tadpoles

Tadpoles coming up for air in groups.
07 Tadpoles 07 Tadpoles
07 Tadpoles

Tadpoles in the pond coming up for air.
08 Red Bishop08 Red Bishop
08 Red Bishop

A side view of a Red Bishop sitting on a dried reed head.
09 Red Bishop09 Red Bishop
09 Red Bishop

The Red Bishop looking down at something below.
10 Sitting10 Sitting
10 Sitting

Another Red Bishop sitting on a branch.
11 Tadpoles11 Tadpoles
11 Tadpoles

Lots of tadpoles coming up for air.
12 Birds12 Birds
12 Birds

A Red Bishop and a Masked Weaver sitting on a blade of grass.
13 Red Bishop13 Red Bishop
13 Red Bishop

A Red Bishop staring out at the world.
14 Terrapin14 Terrapin
14 Terrapin

A terrapin swimming in the murky, water full of plants.
15 Camouflaged15 Camouflaged
15 Camouflaged

A frog is camouflaged amongst the plants in the pond.
16 Locust16 Locust
16 Locust

A red and black locust.
17 Locust17 Locust
17 Locust

This locust is a green one.
18 Agama18 Agama
18 Agama

An insect eating reptile at the top of the waterfall ridge.
19 Posing19 Posing
19 Posing

This colourful agama enjoyed posing for us as we snapped away.
20 Steps20 Steps
20 Steps

At the end of the path to reach the top we walked up these steps.
21 From Above 21 From Above
21 From Above

The view of the Botanical Gardens from the top of the waterfall.


Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.027s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0579s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb