Our Blog - Log 6


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Eastern Cape
February 9th 2011
Published: February 9th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Our Blog - Log 6
7th February to

We arrived early morning in Durban - lovely and warm and sunny. Very large port - largest in South Africa. We had a trip booked to the Tala Private Game Reserve in the morning.
Excellent coach drive along very modern motorway - all roads in the area are very good.
On arrival we were given fruit juice and then taken to our open top transport. Although it was open top it did have a canopy over the top so it protected us from most of the sun. Ours held about 20 passengers, no safety belts and the first pot hole we hit Barry ended up on the floor!! He hung on for grim death after that!!
We had a very dedicated and enthusiastic ranger taking us around and he kept going off the tracks into the bush to make sure we saw as much wild life as we possibly could in the two hour drive we had. It was magical and not only because of the fauna but also the flora.
The animals we saw in the wild were all in tip top condition as they do not have any predators. We knew before we went that there wouldn’t be any lions or elephants so the animals we did see were relatively safe except from man who get through to kill for their own food.
We were fortunate enough to see giraffes including young only recently born, wart hogs, various herds of zebra, ostriches, kudo in the bushes (very rare to see them in the wild), hippos in a lake along with lots of ducks of various kinds and colours, egrets, weaver birds both red and yellow - we were able to watch them building their nests in the trees and reeds over and alongside the water - very vivid colours, herons and Egyptian Geese (made a pleasant change from the Canadian Geese we always see). Impala, blackbok, water buffalo, gnus and white rhinos. So exciting seeing so many wild animals and birds in such a short space of time - better than a zoo as they had the whole game part to wander not small compounds and cages.
WE drove back to the centre of Durban back to the ship. A wonderful experience we both thoroughly enjoyed.
In the evening we set sail for Mauritius across the Indian Ocean. Sailing away from Durban was lovely watching all the little boats and yachts and some larger chartered boats all sailing alongside and behind us to say goodbye. The crowds all along the many quaysides were wonderful to listen to as they sang and cheered us on our way with various ships horns blasting a fond farewell to us as well. The Queen Mary 2 reciprocated many times and it was amazing listening to her echo booming around the many hills of Durban.


Advertisement



9th February 2011

Blog 6
Hi Barry & Nikki, This is the first time that I have seen your blog. Very interesting, looking forwrad to the one of Mauritius. Kid regards Sam.

Tot: 0.224s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0387s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb