Coffee Bay


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Eastern Cape » Coffee Bay
November 4th 2014
Published: November 10th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Leaving the beautiful Umzumbe and hearing so much good about Coffee Bay, made our expectations about this place very high. For that reason Coffee Bay came as a shock. The backpackers hostel 'Coffee Shack' where we stayed was located in the middle of this poor village mixed with the local habitants without any security. This made us on first side a bit suspicious and afraid. It was definitely a misplaced feeling, as the local people welcomed us with open arm and stealing was handled the old fashion way if you were caught. Discovering a bar in the village where locals were playing jembe (drums) around the fire made us finally feel more in SA.

We went with 15 other backpackers on a hike to Mapulzi, which was beautiful, but which was also our first bad experience... On the way to a natural jacuzzi in the mountain, we got hit by a very big wave into the jacuzzi with our guide. Realizing the danger, we luckily got out of there before another wave came. Shocked about what happened we didn't realize our wounds (we were pushed pretty hard by the wave against some sharp walls) till we jointed the group. But we were okay and could hike back to the car. Unfortunately the next day we had to cancel our 2hours surf lesson for 50R (€3,6)!

It's difficult to give an impression, but we stayed for 5 days in Coffee bay, that explains already how much we came to appreciate the place. For the first time in our trip, we had the chance to really bound and meet amazing local people that we will keep remembering.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.161s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0487s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb