Praslin


Advertisement
Seychelles' flag
Africa » Seychelles » Praslin
August 14th 2009
Published: October 8th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Ilse de PalmsIlse de PalmsIlse de Palms

The patio at our Chalet, looking out over the Baie St Anna
Janet has been nagging for years for a trip to the Seychelles, so finally I relented and she got to go for her birthday. Air Seychelles had a great special, and after a bit of nagging they finally issued the tickets. The plan was to spend a few days on Mahe somewhere really luxurious, such as Banyan Tree, and then go self catering. Our dates though coincided with the European and French holidays, so most places were full. Eventually I got the Hilton Northolme Resort and Spa for the second part. The first weekend was a lot more difficult, and we ended up leaving Johannesburg without a confirmation.

The flight is to Mahe, then an inter island flight on an eight seat Otter to Praslin. At Praslin airport I finally got the confirmation from Masons Travel for our first two nights at Isle de Palms.

We arrived at our chalet mid morning and, after freshening up, decided to walk to the nearest village for lunch. That village was Anse Volbert and although it was only 4km away, it was not an easy walk as the roads have no pavements. We eventually managed to get off the road and get
Praslin BeachPraslin BeachPraslin Beach

Janet in beach heaven
a drink at the Acajou Hotel, and from there on to the beach. Lunch was creole fish at La Goulue. We walked a bit further after lunch but then the heat finally forced us into negotiating a reasonable rate for a cab ride home.

Later that evening, we decided it was too much hassle to go anywhere for dinner. We had two complimentary coconuts in our room and some airline biscuits and so we dined on coconuts, crackers and fine french wine, sitting on our patio overlooking Baie St Anna and listening to the waves gently lap at our feet.

On the Sunday we decided to walk to the pier (5km) and take the ferry to La Dique. Breakfast ended up being yoghurt, cheese and bread on the side of the road in Baie St Anna.

La Digue had had a major festival the day before, and remnants still littered the street. We had a very good lunch at Chez Marston before taking a walk through the village to the gates of La Dique Island Lodge. We walked back on the beach, stopping at a quite cove for a swim.

The ferry to La Dique had
La DigueLa DigueLa Digue

Janet waiting for the ferry on La Dique
been a catamaran, but back to Praslin it was a mono hull, and through choppy seas. Janet managed surprisingly well in the heavy roll, but there were some very ill looking passengers.

The next morning we left Isle des Palms early for the ferry once again, this time by cab to catch the catamaran for the longer trip back to Mahe.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

La Dique ferryLa Dique ferry
La Dique ferry

The monohull ferry that took us from La Dique to Praslin


Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0424s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb