The Loumpoul Desert


Advertisement
Senegal's flag
Africa » Senegal » Saint-Louis Region » Lompoul Desert
April 7th 2008
Published: April 7th 2008
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Dromadary Challenge 35 secs
Loumpoul: the spirit of the desert

In route to St. Louis (north of Senegal) on Easter vacation with my family, we stopped at the desert of Loumpoul, which is located in the Thies Region of Senegal about 15 kilometers West of Kebemer city. The visit to Loumpoul desert may well be a one time experience for our family but the memories will last for a long time. The life, spirit, simplicity, and spirituality of the people who live in the Loumpoul desert left me wondering about my own humanity, sophistication, and needs. During this trip, we learned other aspects of Senegalese life, hospitality, and appreciated deeply the true gift of friendship.

The hospitality and service offered by Abdou, our host in the desert, was excellent. He made us feel at home. He really embodies the Senegalese Teranga. He met us on the shore of “Loumpoul sur Mer” (the fishermen village) and directed us in the desert. We arrived just before dark. We immediately got into our tent and prepared for the evening.

By 8:00 PM, Abdou invited us to join in the main tent for dinner. After sharing a meal together, he and his clan organized a bonfire where the children had the privilege to listen to stories, tales, the wisdom, and the spirit of desert. Despite the chilling temperature, the kids stayed awake through the end of the stories and tales. In the morning hours, we woke up, had breakfast, and started our journey in the desert. It was quite an experience getting on and riding a dromadary. We all had so much fun playing in the sand despite the challenge of furious wind.

Our love to Mytch who organized and convinced all of us to take on the challenge of the Loumpoul desert. We did more than surviving it. We have created deep memories for our family.

Please come and discover the desert of Loumpoul with me and my family through pictures and video postings.



Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

view of the campgroundview of the campground
view of the campground

where we stayed
lateral viewlateral view
lateral view

logging facility
main tentmain tent
main tent

dinning room
interior view of main tentinterior view of main tent
interior view of main tent

sitting arroungement
lanternlantern
lantern

only option for light
lavabolavabo
lavabo

about four available
toilettoilet
toilet

did you wonder about the most needed...
rest arearest area
rest area

well thought out...
campground in the desertcampground in the desert
campground in the desert

braving the wind
Abdou: waiting for his visitorsAbdou: waiting for his visitors
Abdou: waiting for his visitors

Outside of the main tent
bonfire with mombonfire with mom
bonfire with mom

setting for desert's tales and stories
bonfire with Abdou's clanbonfire with Abdou's clan
bonfire with Abdou's clan

stories with Ataya (tea)
inside view -tentinside view -tent
inside view -tent

single bed setting
ride in the desertride in the desert
ride in the desert

Dorvilier's clan


28th May 2008

logistics
I wish you had added phone numbers, e-mail addresses, prices, etc. I can't seem to find those for this place.
4th August 2008

Contact for Loumpoul Campground
Thank you for mentioning the positive aspect of the entry. Being appreciative is a universal value that could have come handy before your comment. We organized our stay through Origin Africa Travel agency. They are reliable and trustworthy. Their contact number in Dakar: +221 33860 1578 or in Loumpoul ask for Abdou: +221 77684 3894.

Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.028s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb