Scanning news of West Africa


Advertisement
Senegal's flag
Africa » Senegal » Cape Verde Peninsula » Dakar
June 23rd 2006
Published: June 23rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

I have set up three Google Alerts, one each for Senegal, Mali and Ghana. I am monitoring news items so I am somewhat familiar with what is going on in the places I will be traveling to. Here is a quick rundown of what I am learning.

Ghana - the BIG news is the World Cup for Soccer. Championship games are on. Ghana is doing great, rather surprisingly. Yesterday Ghana defeated the US (5th seeded team). All of Africa now looks upon Ghana with high esteem - they are the boys that put Africa on the map in Soccer. What a hoot!!

Senegal - The president of Ghana is visiting China and signing agreements for trade and cooperation. Diplomatic efforts were suspended a while ago, now they are resumed. This comes after Senegal cut off diplomatic ties with Taiwan. Double Hoot!!!

Mali - the mediation effort with the Tuaregs is being held in Algeria now. Tuaregs are "fighting" for greater autonomy - having been neglected for a long time and not participating in prosperity and development the rest of the country has been enjoying. Did you know that Timbuktu is no longer some isolated backwaters town on the Niger. It has an international airport. Jetsetters congregate here once every two years for the biggest African film festival. Bamako continues to be the music capital. Triple Hoot!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0366s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb