African Renaissance Monument in Dakar, Senegal


Advertisement
Senegal's flag
Africa » Senegal » Cape Verde Peninsula » Dakar
December 9th 2009
Published: December 9th 2009
Edit Blog Post

African Renaissance MonumentAfrican Renaissance MonumentAfrican Renaissance Monument

The statue will be a signature tourist site for Africa and a symbol for the African Diaspora Worldwide, due to open on April 4th.
I just returned from my trip to Africa where I went to Dakar, Senegal. The first thing I saw when we toured the city was the newly constructed African Renaissance Monument. Wow! It was beyond beautiful! The 160- foot bronze statue that has already been compared to the Eiffel Tower and the Statue of Liberty by the Senegalese President Abdoulaye Wade will be a signature tourist site for Africa and a symbol for the African Diaspora around the world. The towering statue situated on a 330-foot hill overlooking the Atlantic Ocean is a $27 million project that will contain cultural exhibitions, multimedia and conference rooms, shops and a nearby theatre. A floor at the very top will allow visitors a bird’s eye view of the surrounding city.

The brainchild of President Wade, who first wrote about his idea of an African giant coming out of a volcano in a book on his vision of Africa, the structure depicts a muscular man in a heroic position with his wife in one arm and child in the other rising out a volcano. The octogenarian president said that the Monument to the African Renaissance" is meant to symbolize Africa’s potential, rebirth and liberation from "centuries of ignorance, intolerance and racism.

I was in awe of this statue. I got out to take pictures. The travelers in my group were amazed also. It has been reported that many Senegalese people do regard it as a symbol of pride that has economic spin-offs and some believe that the money would have been better spent helping the country’s poor. While there is much debate as to whether the magnificent work of art represents an inspiration or insult to the poor, there is little doubt that the African Renaissance Monument will be a world class structure attracting visitors from around the globe creating additional revenue for the country and showing the world that Africans are rebounding after six centuries of darkness and suppression.

I can't wait until it opens to the public on April 4th, the 50th anniversary of Senegal's independence. I definitely want to go up to the top and look out over the ocean and city. The Senegalese people are planning a big celebration for the grand opening. I want to be there as a proud person of African descent. I am from the US and I hope that more people from US, both black and white will go to see this monument. I think it represents the beginning of healing for descendants of both slaves and slave owners. Most people who visit Senegal outside of Africa are from Europe. I know that will change now that you can get an easy flight out of Washington, DC's Dulles airport with South African Airways that is only seven and a half hours non-stop. Come on America. Let's do Senegal on the grand opening of the African Renaissance Monument!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0543s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb