Nigeria, Oil, Corruption


Advertisement
Nigeria's flag
Africa » Nigeria
March 30th 2013
Published: March 31st 2013
Edit Blog Post

Every country has its own unique natural resource which makes the country rich. Nigeria is one of the country filled with oil, but the country and it's people still remain desperately poor. What is causing poverty in Nigeria? Bribery and government corruption are the biggest issues in Nigeria.



What specific pieces of evidence are there that bad government and corruption are causing poverty in Nigeria?

In the video one of the Nigerian prosecutor Nahu Ribadu says that corruption is occurring in political party. He was once given $15 million cash from the former governor as a bribery. UC Berkeley and Nigeria expert Michael Watts says government is causing corruption and using public office for private gain. He goes further and says oil revenue is also covered by government which is causing more corruption and citizens are not gaining anything from the revenue. Trace International's Alexandra Wrage talks about the former Nigerian dictator Sani Abacha who consumed $5 million a day for personal use and at the end she agrees with Watts says about the citizens. This is how bad government and corrupt leaders are causing poverty in Nigeria.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.056s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb