Africa Travel Company- Namibia to Cape Town


Advertisement
Namibia's flag
Africa » Namibia
January 11th 2013
Published: January 25th 2013
Edit Blog Post

On the 7th of January we made our way to Sesriem campsite. The drive was long, extremely hot and terribly bumpy. On arrival we were all so exhausted and drained from the heat we couldn't be bothered to do anything. The pool however was welcomed with open arms.


Sesriem is the gateway to Sossusvlei. Sossusvlei is a huge pan set amid towering red dunes that are out of this world. They are huge. The dunes are part of the Namib Desert (Namib meaning vast dry plain). The dunes reach as high as 325m and are part of one of the oldest and driest eco-systems on earth. The most accessible dune on Sossusvlei road from Sesriem is Dune 45. After being at the campsite for a couple of hours we ventured out at 5:30pm to go and see Dune 45 for sunset. Most of us climbed the dune in bare feet and sat waiting for sunset. The views of the surrounding dunes were breathtaking. It was probably one of the most peaceful places I've ever visited. For kilometers all you could see was red desert and all you could hear was silence. If a pin dropped you wouldn't be able to hear it.

The next day, 8th of January, we made our way to Fish River Canyon and stayed at a place called Canon Roadhouse. The roadtrip to this destination was by far the hottest one I have encountered. We were all spent. Without even pitching our tents we all migrated by the pool. So refreshing. Before venturing to Fish River Canyon for sunset, we went and had a peak at the bar. This bar is like no other. It is situated in a large building that looks like a large garage. It has old war remnants and memorabilia that date back for many years. Next to tables were antique cars, tools and signage that painted the walls. It was awesome, it had such character.

So at 5:30pm again we ventured out to witness a sunset over a magnificent landscape. Fish River Canyon is in Southern Namibia and measures 160km in length and up to 27km in width, depth 550m. The canyon is also breathtaking. I honestly cannot explain how enormous and amazing the sight is unless you have witnessed it yourself. It is said that the canyon is the second largest canyon in the world with the first being the Grand Canyon in the US. I have never been to the Grand Canyon but I can only imagine it must be incredible, as the size of this canyon alone was spectacular. It was absolutely incredible. Standing on the edge of the canyon I felt as free as a bird. Again, this was another place that will stay with me forever. It's size was unforgettable.

The following day we made our way across the border of Namibia and South Africa. Here we stayed at a campsite by the Orange River with the coolest blonde labrador called Sammy. The next day we travelled to the beautiful countryside of South Africa to a campsite called Highlanders campsite or better known as Sparky's to many overlanders. Sparky is the owner of a large vineyard at Highlanders. The vineyards are beautiful. That night the whole group of us did some wine tasting. It was delicious! So nice to have good wine. I even enjoyed the red wine, thats a first! You can really tell by the way Sparky speaks of his wine that he is proud of it and very knowledgable. He ought to be too, it was really nice wine. Highlanders was a nice place to spend our final night together with our guides and celebrate what was a great tour. We had a delicious dinner cooked by Farai and finished it off with some cake 😊

On our final day of travel, the 11th of January, we left Sparkys and arrived in Cape Town around lunch time. Here we ended the overland tour and stayed at Ashanti's Backpacker Hostel. The hostel is situated right near the iconic Table Mountain. I only had that day and night in Cape Town and decided to spend it venturing into the city to Green Market Square and browsing. That night Anne, Nikki and I went and had some real western food- finally 😊 it was delicious. We went to a sushi train restaurant and had copious amounts of sushi.

The overland trips were so much fun and a great way to see Africa. For anyone wanting to see a lot of Africa, I highly recommend overlanding as the way to do it. Its a trip I will always remember. You won't regret it.

As one door closes, another one opens. It is now time to meet mum in Moshi and get ready to climb Mt Kilimanjaro. I'm so excited, but nervous as hell!

Until next time!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0484s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb