BBQ and Church...African Style


Advertisement
Namibia's flag
Africa » Namibia
September 11th 2011
Published: September 11th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Can't believe the weekend is over already! Saturday was a lot of fun (despite the lack of sleep, thank you killer african spiders). We slept in a bit, and then went to the Namibian Craft Center in downtown Windhoek. It is an amazing place! We both found lots of gifts for people back in the States (and Phillippines). we also may or may not have gotten something small for ourselves as well. We can't wait to go back. It is all handmade and gorgeous stuff from carved bowls to jewelry to fabric and clothing. That night we had burgers on the Braai (outdoor grill), and we had further introduction to perhaps the best Television show ever. Packed to the Rafters. Thank you Africa! (well, I guess technically Australia but since the Brown's introduced is i'm thanking Africa).
Today was a busy day...went to church again with the Brown's. It really a great service and we met a lot of people, but it was really long today, 2.5 hours! then we came home, made some lunch, and had a really sweet family over for a few hours. The mom came with all her girls. We had really great conversation, and the little ones are so cute too! Then it was my 1st attempt at cooking here, with Raissa as my sous chef. We braved walking around the corner to the grocery, and it was actually refreshing to just walk around by ourselves and feel comfortable. Dinner actually came out tasting not too bad. Then we had some delicious Africa ice cream (ok, actually mint chocolate chip...but its made in Namibia that counts as African food!). and watched another episode (or 2) of Packed to the Rafters. Hilarious show. Raissa and I highly recommend it. We should be sleeping, so adios for now. Back to the Hospital tomorrow so i'm sure we'll have more stories to share soon!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



13th September 2011

many many questions....
So....can you guys address what safety measures you have to take over there? Like can you drink the water? Is there food you have to avoid? Are there areas you don't venture to? I pictured you in the middle of the jungle and I am realizing I was super wrong...except for the zebra meat and gaint spiders! Oh and also- special needlestick precautions?

Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0665s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb