Oasis Overland


Advertisement
Namibia's flag
Africa » Namibia
November 19th 2008
Published: November 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

So our truck... and the tour... and the people... and the basic set up...
We drive everywhere in a massive yellow truck. The back has seats along the sides that are actually quite comfortable. The sides are plastic and roll up so that we can get a breeze. There are lockers under the seats where we store our bags. There are a bunch of overland companies that are essentially the same with just basic differences...some camp, others at hostels, some cook for you, others you cook your own food, some are larger, others smaller. We are one of the biggest trucks out of the ones I've seen. We have 23 people plus our leader and our driver. It is a much larger group than I was expecting! It's hard to get to know everyone, especially since a lot of them have been together for almost 2 months. Only me and one other girl joined in Livingstone. Most people seem nice, some are exclusive. There's one other 18 year old, one 21, a bunch of 25's, some late 20's and a few 30's. The ones in their 20's so far have been the most fun to hang out with and I'm sure it will continue! Our leader (James) is nice and so is our driver (Pat). They both are pretty laid back and have a good sense of humor which is way important!

We camp every night in campsites so there are usually showers and bathrooms and everything. Not when we're bush camping though which happens sometimes. We cook in cook groups, once a week. Dinner in the evening and then breakfast and lunch the next day. We are completely on our own for cooking, we just get the money. So we decide what we want to make, get what we need, etc. Our budget is plenty big, we haven't even ever reached it yet. Mostly porridge, toast, sometimes eggs for breakfast. Sandwiches or various salads for lunch, then anything from chili con carne to macaroni to Thai green curry for dinner. We cook everything over a fire so it's different from what most people are used to! Good experience though!

Every day when we get to a campsite the first thing we do is set up our tents. They're 3 person tents for 2 of us so there's plenty of room. We leave our big bags on the truck and only take what we need. The tents are canvas, so not like the ones at home. They don't even really have rain flys, but we haven't gotten wet yet so it's all good. There aren't cots or anything, we're on the floor on our thin inflatable sleeping pads that we brought. I didn't bring a pillow so my fleece has been sufficing.

I'm not sure what else there really is to talk about... Any questions, let me know!

Advertisement



19th November 2008

I'm digging the big yellow bus business!! :]] I feel the need to tell you our model u.n. countries...kay...: Iceland, the U.K. (!!!), Vietnam, Australia, Venezuela (chavez, ahaha!) global warming. wooh. good thing you are like way closer than we are to the actual countries! haha. cooking over the fire sounds like fun times :) <3

Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0818s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb