Walvis Bay, Namibia -- November 21,2015


Advertisement
Namibia's flag
Africa » Namibia » Walvis Bay
January 17th 2016
Published: January 17th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Walvis Bay, Namibia,



Returning to the monetary / economic indicator, the exchange rate for Namibia was 14 to 1 making it a prosperous and developed country in comparison to others. Perhaps a heritage of its former colonial master Germany there was very little garbage or litter lying about. I cannot comment on the rest of the country but Walvis Bay and Swakopmud were very modern and prosperous. Swakopmud buildings continue to show its German heritage. Our first stop was Walvis Bay lagoon where flamingos are abundant. The next stop was Dune 7. On the drive there it appeared that we were paralleling a range of sand coloured mountains, not realizing that these were sand dunes. Taking the roard to Dune 7 we briefly got stuck in a sand drift. Fortunately there were six men there with shovels whose job it was to keep the road open against the drifting sand. We were not so lucky when departing. The sand had drifted across the road and the bus driver misjudged the the road and one side of the bus sunk into the sand. 45 minutes later after a lot of digging and one broken chain the bus was finally pulled free of the sand. One surprise in Swakopmud was that most of the stores Saturday afternoon and that there were relatively few people about. On the way back to the ship the wind had really picked up and now I have an idea of what a sand storm looks like.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

DSC01351DSC01351
DSC01351

Saturday afternoon stores closed and few people about
DSC01354DSC01354
DSC01354

War memorial to German soldiers the fought in World War 1


Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 29; dbt: 0.089s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb