Sossusvlei to Swakopmund


Advertisement
Namibia's flag
Africa » Namibia » Swakopmund
June 1st 2012
Published: June 10th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Ever since we flew through in the searing heat of midday back in October 2010, it has been Kayla's dream to return to photograph the famous dunes of the Namib-Nakluft National Park, and she was not disappointed.

After a cross country drive from Keetmanshoop that took most of the day, Antonio stepped on the gas and persuaded the park guards that we should be admitted to the park for a late afternoon photo shoot of the dunes. When there was no more light left and our ISO was pushed as high as it could go, we checked into the Sossus Dune Lodge, which is just inside the park. This was a strategic move - we wouldn't have to wait until the gates opened at 6 am for our sunrise shoot the next day.

Sure enough, we were up at the crack of dawn to get into position for the morning dune shoot. This time we found another beautiful s-curve dune and we all took the time to shoot the dunes in this spot from every possible angle, far away and right up close. It was a beautiful warm sunny morning. When we had exhausted every possible shot, we walked back to the van and proceeded further into the park, boarded the 4X4 land rovers for the final 5 km as far as the roads/sand ruts would allow.

Then we walked into Dead Vlei for photos of the dead trees in the white salt pan, surrounded by the orange dunes. The images of this place are world famous and we were once again in photographer heaven. Whenever someone was near, Jim would point out various image possibilities, and show us what he was taking. It was great to learn from him, and he had amazing patience to answer all our questions.

Back to the Lodge for a short break, then back into the park for a golden hour dune shoot. This time, everyone set out into the dunes to find vantage points from which to shoot the gorgeous curves and shapes as the sun got lower in the sky. Jim climbed one small dune, and as we followed him up, another incredible vista opened up before our eyes. Then, as if on cue, the winds started blowing sand over the tops of the dunes, creating an opportunity for images of blowing sand in the golden sunlight.

The stars were bright in the dark sky, and some of our group got up in the night to shoot them using a technique that Jim described. He didn't join them at 3:30 am and neither did we, having taken some star shots while in the Central Kalahari when the sky was very dark and the moon was not out.

The next day, a small plane arrived on the little dirt strip near our Lodge, and we were treated to a nice long low-level flight straight over the dunes right out to the coast, up the coast, over abandoned diamond mines and shipwrecks, and on into Swakopmund. More photos out the windows, although they will never be award winners.

But the day was not over yet. In the afternoon, we went on a Living Desert Tour where Tommy reached down and pulled a small lizard from underneath the sand. Although he was disappointed not to find a sidewinder or a scorpion for us, we marveled at the beauty of the lighter pink sand dunes all around us, and enjoyed a thrilling ride up and over the dunes to a high point overlooking the Atlantic ocean, where we enjoyed yet another gorgeous African sundown. And more photos, of course.

Richard writes about his road trip to Sossusvlei with Antonio:

Kayla flies with the other photographers in the 12-seat Cessna, but Richard rides shotgun with our driver for 5 hours on rough gravel to see the scenery along the route. In 2010 we travelled in the other direction on this road on our 2-month overland trip, so the landscape is familiar. Our minibus driver Antonio is an amateur geologist so Richard and he discuss the features along the route. Antonio has travelled many times over this road so he knows the rocks but not their history. There is a lot of variety and two deep canyons. Several stops are required to examine and discuss rock specimens and look at them through Richard's loupe.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.212s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0771s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb