Solitaire to Sesriem, Namibia


Advertisement
Namibia's flag
Africa » Namibia » Sossusvlei
October 25th 2010
Published: October 25th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Solitaire to Sesriem, Namibia

Delay because of the truck breakdown at Solitaire ment that we could not see the Namib desert dunes at dawn. We drove from Solitaire early and arrived at the dunes about 10:00 am. The sun was already beating down. We should have been there at dawn when it was cool. 

We tried our best to climb up the spine of a dune in soft sand. A beautiful sight - red sand stretching away in all directions. Kayla was bitterly disappointed that the best sun conditions for photography were finished for the day before we arrived and there seemed to be no flexibility in our itinerary to try for a sunrise again. We returned from the walk early and sat in the hot shade waiting for the rest of the group.

The 4 X 4's drove us the short distance to the parking lot at the foot of Sosusvlei Dune for a few quick photos. No one wanted to attempt a climb in this heat, which must have been very near, if not over, 40 C.

Next we drove Sesriem Canyon. This area was originally laid down by a river bringing sand and gravel from nearby mountains. Now the river runs underground and has cut a canyon in its original channel. A walk into the canyon allowed ous to find a 30 cm horned adder which was photographed by all at a safe distance, since it is one of the deadliest poisonous snakes in Africa.

Evening allowed us to visit the dunes again. But the sunset was hidden by clouds so no great photo opportunities. One of the most photogenic places on earth will have to wait for us to return under better circumstances.  

Advertisement



Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0581s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb