The Epupa Falls and the Himbas in Namibia


Advertisement
Namibia's flag
Africa » Namibia » Ruacana
May 11th 2011
Published: May 11th 2011
Edit Blog Post

The Epupa Falls (also known as Monte Negro Falls in Angola) are created by the Kunene River on the border of Angola and Namibia, in the Kaokoland area of the Kunene Region.

The river is 0.5 km wide and drops in a series of waterfalls spread over 1.5 km, with the greatest single drop being 37 m. The name "Epupa" is a Herero word for "foam", in reference to the foam created by the falling water. Despite being difficult to reach (a 4WD vehicle is needed to reach them from Opuwo), the falls are a major visitor attraction in Namibia, because of the largely unspoiled environment, with fig trees, baobabs, makalani palms, and colored rock walls framing the falls.

The Himba are an ethnic group of about 20,000 to 50,000 people living in northern Namibia, in the Kunene region (formerly Kaokoland). Recently they have built two villages in Kamanjab which have become tourist destinations. They are mostly a nomadic, pastoral people, closely related to the Herero, and speak Otjihimba, a dialect of the Herero language.

Photographs on the official Michel Piccaya website:
http://watchtheworld.net



Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 70; dbt: 0.0502s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb