In the Kalahari


Advertisement
Namibia's flag
Africa » Namibia » Kalahari
May 22nd 2007
Published: August 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We are at our last stop on our tour and we are cold! We are in the Kalahari and although the sky is bright blue and the sun is shining it is only about 10 degrees. It was actually freezing last night. We are staying in a very nice bungalow on stilts that over looks the desert. The first night we were here we were the only people in the whole place! Tim claims he booked the whole place out as a treat!

On our first afternoon we went on a cheetah feeding drive. They have 4 cheetahs that cannot be released into the wild for various reasons so they are kept here in a large enclosure. We got in a safari vehicle and were driven into the enclosure so they could be fed. They get given donkey (it tastes just like zebra apparently) which is as you may have guessed is not what they normally prey on.

Even though we were the only guests the lodge still catered as if they were fully booked! We had a 3 course meal that included a massive vegetable and salami tart (more than enough on it's own), followed by springbok and beef steaks and the world's largest green salad rounded off with ice cream with chocolate sauce. A bottle of wine and some Windhoeks set us up for nice evening!

The next morning we walked along the sand dunes, we were lent a walkie talkie in case we met anything nasty and were advised a kick in the face was the best defence against rabid wild cats! Whilst out walking we saw lots of birdlife, a lonely springbok (tonight's meal?) but then an ostrich walked on the dune right in front of us. It was great to be so close to it but having seen them peck numerous camera lenses in the past we kept our distance. After lunch we hung around by the Meerkat colony (they live in the rubbish dump) and set a new photo taking record!

In the afternoon other guests arrived and we wound down the evening chatting to another English couple who had just got married and were on their first stop of their honeymoon.

On our departure day we hung around the lodge by the fire (it was REALLY cold!) chatting before the last drive along Namibia's great and deserted roads......wah!




Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Another meercat photoAnother meercat photo
Another meercat photo

This is the dominant female heading for her burrow. She has a shorter tail than normal.
The tame springbokThe tame springbok
The tame springbok

She was always looking in the window wondering how she was going to get inside.


Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0837s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb