Day 32: Game Viewing


Advertisement
Namibia's flag
Africa » Namibia » Etosha National Park
May 9th 2010
Published: May 13th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Day 32: Game Viewing


Another early start and another race to have breakfast and put the tents down by 07h00. This morning was a record and we managed to leave the camp site by 06h45!

Fortunately it wasn't a cold night although the wind of the previous afternoon had disappeared. Most of the sand from the Namib was now in my tent, even though I'd closed the air vents and zipped the flaps tight.

We were all settling down to the start of the journey when a Cheetah ran across the road and into the grass. None of us was prepared and no cameras were out. In fact, this was not Cheetah country so it was a surprise even for our guide!

Roughly an hour into the journey, we stopped outside a local village and went to meet the Himba and Herero women, selling their wares. The Himba women never wash, preferring to cover themselves in mud mixed with goats' milk, which has the side effect of removing their body hair. Whilst they are all bare-breasted, the ankles are considered private and personal and are therefore covered in ornate bands. Only the husbands are permitted to see the ankles and trouble is caused if you so much as comment on the bands! The Herero, on the other hand, wear Victorian dresses, introduced by the missionaries in the 1880s and a headdress, which represents cows horns.

Our continuing journey to Etosha took us beyond the Karoo with its sand and scrub and into a landscape containing bushes and small trees, teaming with wildlife. Zebra and Elephant roamed the bushes along side the road almost all the way into the park. Surely a sign of things to come.

Etosha is larger than Kruger but with only three rest camps. In European terms, the game park is larger than Switzerland but with only three villages. Therefore, it is not easy trying to find game. However, looking at the photos below, you'll see that it was a very satisfying game drive.

After a week of viewing scenery, albeit very pleasant, it was nice to be back in the parks viewing game. The evening by the waterhole was also rewarding, with several Black Rhino coming in to use the facilities. Tomorrow promises to be even better!


Additional photos below
Photos: 36, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Sociable WeaverSociable Weaver
Sociable Weaver

These little chaps took it easy - they gathered the straw from the nearby thatched roofs!!!


6th December 2010

Great blog!
Stunning pictures. That is one for my bucket list. Thanks!
7th June 2013
Black Backed Jackal

LOVE IT
Love this picture...really special

Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0494s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb