Etosha - Take me to the waterhole


Advertisement
Namibia's flag
Africa » Namibia » Etosha National Park
June 17th 2008
Published: June 27th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Etosha National Park was spectacular! The highlight came on the first night/morning where we camped at an amazing water hole. Once we arrived (sunset) we sat at the water hole with our tripod and only left for dinner at 7pm and a short sleep break between midnight and 3:30am. The elephants were the first to show up followed by 3 to 5 black rhinos. When they were finished, the place was a bit less busy but we did see some more animals including a spotted hyena, jackals, giraffe, zebra, springbok, more elephants and rhinos.

We went through a bit of a drought between 3:30 and 5:30 (guess we should have slept longer...) and then a black rhino showed up. It was quiet again until about 6:20 when the morning game drive that we opted out of was leaving, 2 male lions showed up but didn't come down to drink. The first lions we have seen since Ngorongoro in March! Shortly after the lions left and the sun came up, seemingly endless herds of zebra took turns entering the water from each side. We'd never seen so many in one place at the same time.

To give an idea of how hard it was to narrow down our photos for the blog, we took over 600 photos just between that evening and the next morning.


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Game driveGame drive
Game drive

Just to capture the atmosphere
Photo backupsPhoto backups
Photo backups

An example of the effort it takes to back up and sort our photos.


27th June 2008

Healthy Animals
It's so good to see that all the animals look very healthy and fit... Thanks again - Joyce

Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0345s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb