Day 8 - Ho Hum, More Wild Animals


Advertisement
Namibia's flag
Africa » Namibia » Etosha National Park
August 2nd 2018
Published: August 4th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Another early start and this time Chris beats me out of bed. In our special pickup cart at 0615 for delivery to our breakfast. Fed and watered then into our delightfully designed ponchos, with associated pics then up into our truck. Same same as yesterday, join the queue, not too long, but we are behind the very same Range Rover as yesterday......

Into the Park and back along the same road, this time with toilet break.... We drive along the bitumen and there are cars in front of us going in all directions. Turns out an elephant family must have had a party last night. Big droppings all over the road along with left over tree branches. No wonder cars were avoiding that....

Sudden stop, David spots 2 Rhino across the plains. A long way away, but one of the crew gets a pic that when zoomed you can pick them out. Good start. Further in we find more giraffe, ho hum, seen lots of them, then lots of zebras, ho hum, some elephants, hmm. Finally turn off this road and drive for a while. A few more mobs of Wilderbeast, Zebra and lots of Springbok, then the jackpot - White Rhino just off the road.

There was, what our experts tell us a male, 3 females and a baby (still the size of a small car). Unfortunately the grass was tallish so we couldn’t get a great view but they were BIG. Sat there for quite awhile then the bull sat down so we decided to look for more. No luck, but we were very happy with our morning.

Back to the toilet stop for coffee and cakes. Checked out the “shop” for t shirts - pretty ordinary range so decided against that. Back in the truck and to the lodge for lunch. We eat, then have down time before our sundowner at 1630.

Had a cold drink then out for another sundowner so back in the truck again - up, down, up, down. Doesn’t sound too bad but the steps are pretty high and not overly large. Still amazed that “badge lady” (who we found out is 91) is doing this with ease. Putting us all to shame....

A few stops talking about elephant poo and its medicinal uses and then certain bushes with special use by the bushmen. Very much like our indigenous Australians and their bushcraft. We see a few animals then we spot a male Kudu between the park fence and the reserve fence (no mans land). Next thing, up up and away. Over the fence in a single bound. Luckily I caught the up and down on the camera - happy with that....

Search more, then the call comes on the radio, number 5 (cheetah). Get to the area and there are 2 other trucks stopped. Sure enough, Mrs cheetah and her 4 cubs from yesterday. This time a lot closer, then they start walking towards us. Wow, all you can hear is cameras whirring. Very close, and the cubs are being very playful today. Climbing ant mounds, crashing into each other and also just having a good time.

Watching is over, now to our sundowner spot. This time we go to the spot we were meant to be at last night (cheetah territory last night). Very pretty spot with food and bar on a metal bench hanging from a tree, and 3 ice buckets as well with our drinks. Fire lit, lanterns and a very peaceful place to watch the sunset and talk about the cheetahs.

Back for our farewell dinner. Welcomed by the usual staff and the boss of the lodge. We are turned to the right instead of left. A table was set for us in the grassed area beside the pool with lanterns everywhere. Very pretty, but can’t see what we are doing. Never mind, iPhone lights help.

Great dinner, good chat with our guide (Perez) who opens up about his life and family. Very interesting.

Off to the room, pack bags ready for tomorrow’s departure.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.322s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0984s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb