Harnas Foundation protects wildlife in Namibia


Advertisement
Namibia's flag
Africa » Namibia » Cheetah Park
May 10th 2011
Published: May 10th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Harnas Wildlife Foundation (HWF) is an organization located in Namibia, approximately 300 km east of the capital Windhoek. HWF is one of the few wildlife orphanages and medical centres in the world to take in abused, injured, and captured wild animals from Namibia, Botswana, and southern African nations, saving hundreds of animals per year.

The very beginning was in 1978 when Nick and Marieta van der Merwe saved an abused vervet monkey from its captors for five Rand and a some bread. This ape was the beginning of a long line of animals that found refuge at their farm, Harnas. To cover the ever-increasing costs of food, new enclosures and medical treatment, all of which the family had financed until then through profits from their cattle, Harnas opened its doors to visitors and contributors.

This Wildlife 'refuge' become a reality, and over the years expanded to become a major role player in conservation and wildlife campaigns. The site now comprises enclosures, voluntary headquarters, safari tours, guest farm and a huge surrounding conservation land around the main hub. Once fit and able to leave the main enclosures, the previously injured and traumatised animals are set free in this wilderness, to roam as they would in their natural habitat.

There are many types of animal that take refuge at Harnas, from Lion, Cheetah, Leopard, Caracal, Eagles, Meercat, Mongoose, Zebra, Baboon, African Wild Dog, Springbok, and a population of feral animals on site. The international patrons of HWF are Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie.

Photographs on the official Michel Piccaya website:
http://watchtheworld.net


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 18; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0384s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb