Mocambique


Advertisement
Mozambique's flag
Africa » Mozambique » Southern » Maputo
June 29th 2010
Published: June 29th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Picture 060Picture 060Picture 060

View from our room
After the massive day that was Australia pumping Serbia in Nelspruit and the preceding and following shenanigans at the Jock and Java and the Casino, we decided a hungover drive to Mozambique was in order. We had to drop by the airport to get papers to take the rental cars over the border, then the 6 of us in the trusty Nissan Tiida and Volkswagon Polo made our way to Mozambique.

After the 2 hour border stop for visas and back and forward with papers to get the cars over the border, we finally arrived in Maputo, the capital just after nightfall. Being pretty hungover and tired, we weren't on our guard and the local police could smell it. Thankfully, we hadn't taken any money out yet, so the bribes they exhorted from us amounted to about 30 bucks altogether. Apparently, we failed to indicate and you're not allowed to drive on an Aussie drivers licence.

The fact that each of the cops palmed the money only confirmed it was all bull dust. When we arrived at the hostel and spoke to some Saffers on the road, they confirmed that if you just ask for a receipt, they'll let
Picture 062Picture 062Picture 062

View from our 2nd Accomodation hut
you go, but us naiive hungover, trusting Aussies were a bit behind play.

We spent a night in Maputo, I joined a few Aussies to go watch a Brazilian band play at the Coconut, then to the lounge where there were a lot of old men dancing with some hot women. Turned out they were pro's, which was confirmed to me by a local.

The following day we headed north to Bilene, a beachside town, because we didn't have time to head north to Tofo, the supposedly better beach side town. Bilene was full of Saffers having a long weekend, so it was rich families and spoilt kids. Met some friendly locals and generally had a blast at a Rave party which was right next to our accomodation, so wasn't exactly the detox weekend I had been planning. 3 days later we dumped the rental cars back at Nelspruit airport.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Picture 059Picture 059
Picture 059

Tim checks the price of beer and struggles with Portuguese
Picture 061Picture 061
Picture 061

Bar and Pool
Picture 064Picture 064
Picture 064

Lagoon 2


Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0608s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb