Morocco - pushing the senses!


Advertisement
Africa » Morocco
May 19th 2016
Published: May 22nd 2016
Edit Blog Post

Our visit to Morocco, the only country that we have visited on the African continent so far, was an absolute stimulus to our cultural and gastronomic senses. When we toured part of that country a few years ago, we found that it was a country that forces any Western visitor to fully appreciate the great chasm that exists between the West and those countries that struggle to adopt modern imperatives... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 75, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Claustrophobic entrance to living quarters in the Medina.Claustrophobic entrance to living quarters in the Medina.
Claustrophobic entrance to living quarters in the Medina.

It was difficult to view the circumstances of life in the Medina.
Beautiful architecture of this mosque.Beautiful architecture of this mosque.
Beautiful architecture of this mosque.

Located in the Imperial City of Meknes which used to be the capital before being moved to Rabat in 1912. The city has 46 miles of walls and 46 gates.
Arabian.Arabian.
Arabian.

In Meknes we toured the Royal stables which houses Berber and Arabian horses as well as a mix of the two. I had an unexpectedly unusual experience looking into the eyes of one of the horses. His intelligence shone through and it almost felt like the animal was communicating with me.
Uncanny experience with this special breed of horse.Uncanny experience with this special breed of horse.
Uncanny experience with this special breed of horse.

It seemed to have been looking right through me.
Kasbah with water reservoir underneath.Kasbah with water reservoir underneath.
Kasbah with water reservoir underneath.

Years ago the monarch had water supplied from the Atlas Mountains to this complex. For fear of poisoning by his enemies the water was transported underground. The walls were designed to keep inside cool in the summer and warm in the winter. It was wonderfully cool when we were there and great respite from the near 40c temperature outside.
Lunch time street side.Lunch time street side.
Lunch time street side.

I had an unbelievably tasty wrap of barbequed meat from this stall.
Well, one is serious.Well, one is serious.
Well, one is serious.

Outside Chez Ali before dinner.



25th May 2016

We loved our two weeks in Morocco
We found the culture and the foods amazing and would be happy to go back. The Atlas mountain drive made me slightly queazy but I ended up ok once the driver slowed down a bit.
26th May 2016

Duly Impressed!
Roger/Jeanette- This is another fantastic account of your adventures which, happily, you share with us all. Thank you.
28th May 2016

morocco
Also one of the most interesting places I have ever been to.
31st May 2016

thanks
We always look forward to reading your blog and seeing all your posted pictures. You two should be travel consultants.

Tot: 0.498s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 17; qc: 54; dbt: 0.1167s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb