Morocco: Last Words


Advertisement
Morocco's flag
Africa » Morocco
March 6th 2011
Published: March 6th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Blossom All AroundBlossom All AroundBlossom All Around

Almond blossom at the side of the road

From Conil de la Frontera



Now in Spain at the site near Cadiz where we stayed before heading to Morocco. We both felt a sense of relief on reaching Spanish soil and realised that we had been a little tense throughout the stay. Nothing major but rather a state of 'readiness' expecting to deal with unsought attentions.

Clearly we stand out as rich outsiders and a source of goodies. Even as we left the port we were asked forcefully for a tip to get the papers sorted then for a pen and finally after the customs check Michael ejected a man trying to hide under the van! Although the security guy came over he did nothing to send him off the site.

Having said all that the main impressions I am left with are positive and we are likely to go back. The country is stunningly beautiful and the cultural differences fascinating.

We had wall to wall sunshine during the month with temperatures into the high 20's in the last week. Food is about half to a third of UK prices and campsites about £5 a night. We saw one small demonstration in a small village outside
Another clear sky all dayAnother clear sky all dayAnother clear sky all day

Sunset in the east
Marrakech and although there was a big police presence in Marrakech (we arrived on a Thursday and they may have expected trouble after Friday prayers) we saw only a funeral procession.

We have swapped almond blossom for mimosa here in Spain. The spring flowers are lovely here on the clifftop outside the site. We are here a little earlier than 2 years ago so the glorious abundance of agapanthus, cistus and wild tulips are still to come but I found my first iris reticulata this afternoon.

I hope you will soon feel the warmth of Spring in the UK.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.124s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0584s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb