Another day, another continent


Advertisement
Morocco's flag
Africa » Morocco » Grand Casablanca » Casablanca
September 21st 2008
Published: September 21st 2008
Edit Blog Post

6 Sep - as expected, it's been a long day / night. Went out for a great last dinner in Madaba...on my own...before my taxi picked me up at midnight. Fly to Istanbul, wait 4 hours for next flight to Casablanca. All goes as planned with no delays and my luggage arrives in Casablanca, phew!

Check into Hotel Washington in Casablanca. My room mate for this trip (Highlights of Morocco - GAP) has arrived but is out exploring. I head out too but can't really find any of the sights (not sure there are any!). Head to the supermarche for supplies...it's great to be able to speak (basic) French rather than feeling ignorant about not managing even a few words of the local language as was the case in Jordan.

When I get back to hotel I meet my room mate, Aya. She's in her 20's and from Japan but currently studying in Seattle. Her English is fantastic, much better than my Japanese! In the evening we meet our leader Ahmed and the rest of the group. There are 14 of us on this trip with only 3 guys...it's another multinational group with a couple from Norwich and others from Oz, US, Canada and Germany including a few other backpackers so will be able to exchange stories and get some advice about life on the road.

7 Sep - we start to explore Morocco. Casablanca is the economic centre and port of the country. We visit Mohammed V Square and the MASSIVE Hassan II Mosque which has a great setting beside the sea with amazing arches and tile work.

We then drive to Rabat - the capital and visit the Royal Palace, the People's Mosque (used by the King when he's staying in Rabat), Mohammed V Mausoleum and tower before wandering around the Oudayas Kasbah. A Kasbah is a fortified village. This one has peaceful gardens, quaint side streets with whitewashed buildings and blue doors and windows as well as fantastic views over the Atlantic with a welcome refreshing breeze. We have a great cup of mint tea overlooking the sea...the first of many mint teas.

We drive to Meknes through the countryside of the Middle Atlas mountains. Very rural with sheep, goats and donkeys meandering on the roads and makeshift stalls by the roadside with locals selling olive oil, juju berries and honey.

Some Moroccan history...Mohammed V is considered the godfather of independence giving Morocco independence from France in 1956. Then there was Hassan II, and then the current king - Mohammed VI. His son will one day become king and be known as Hassan III...got all that?!

Some insight into Islam...Ahmed gives us lots of useful and interesting info when we're on the bus about Moroccan culture and religion. As we are here during Ramadan (one of the five pillars of Islam), he explains that the fasting which all Muslims undergo during the 9th month in the Muslim calendar reflects what the prophet Mohammed experienced. It is also a chance for Muslims to reflect on those less fortunate than themselves which results directly in one of the other pillars of Islam - zakat, giving 2.5% of your income to charity. The other pillars are to make the pilgrimage / Hajj to Mecca in Saudi Arabia, to pray 5 times a day and the belief that there is no God but Allah and Mohammed was his prophet.

Ramadan completely alters daily life for Moroccans with fasting beginning at sunrise (no food, drink, water or smoking) until Muslims 'break the fast' about 8pm. At this point they head out to prayer then spend the evening with friends and family, every night during Ramadan, in a festive type atmosphere with food galore, decorations, lights, etc culminating in a huge extravangaza of Eid at the end of the month. Ramadan is also a time to be considerate to others, catch up with friends and family and partake in extra prayers.

Some Moroccan food...sweet, green tea infused with mint is the national drink aka Berber Whisky! It's drunk everywhere, all the time and is the centre of all social gatherings and business transactions. The main foods are tagine (named after the earthenware dish which this stew is cooked in), couscous and pastilla (minced chicken or pigeon meat, almonds, egg and spices within a pastry which is then sprinkled with icing sugar...bit like a huge mince pie! The tagine and couscous can contain veg, lamb, chicken, meatballs, etc. All this is followed by sweet, sticky, sugary pastries and cakes.

Initial thoughts of Morocco...much more European / Mediterranean than I expected, not like North Africa eg Egypt at all. And square towered minarets rather than round minarets.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.18s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0883s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb