Over the hills and far away


Advertisement
Morocco's flag
Africa » Morocco » Dakhla
February 8th 2012
Published: February 8th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Am sitting on my balcony overlooking the magnificent sand dunes of the Sahara rising above me. The sun has just set and a camel and rider pass by in the distance. Kathryn and Natarsha are off taking photos amongst the sand but I digress.

Purchased some tea, coffee and bread for breakfast in the square. Things are very quiet, it seems no one stirs before 10am, maybe they need a spell after morning prayer.

We climb steeply through the cedar pines until we plateau out on top of the Middle Atlas Mountains. The scene is a picture of white and orange, where the snow meets the gravelly stone outcrops. A few scattered pines about. Some hardy local stone houses with smoke wisping from their abodes. It is the middle of winter of course. Some sheep and goats herded by their loyal masters.

Descending the mountains, we drive through a gravelly valley with the High Atlas Mountains now on our right. They climb abruptly out of the plain, snow laden, at first glance appearing to be a cloud.

We now enter a gorge not unlike the Grand Canyon, only smaller. A river flows beside us as we pass villages of sand-coloured, mud brick houses sitting amidst the date palms. An oasis I guess.

The larger towns a hub of activity: soccer playing children, brooding young men, (inwardly) happy ladies and constantly touting men.

Heading south towards the Tunisia border we happen upon oasis after oasis, a strange scene amongst the barren hills. Eventually (and quite suddenly) we run into a black, stony plain which is completely desolate. The dunes of the Sahara rising in the distance.

Merzouga is a small hamlet living off the tourist trade, though it appears none at this time of year. A couple of camper vans, some motorbike riders, and the odd traveller in the true sense of the word.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



8th February 2012

farmers
Kathryn I cant see the auto steer on the donkeys yet they can keep a straight line
23rd February 2012

auto steer
donkeys are the go! very few buffalo seen here.noy like asia. have seen a couple of very small cultivatirs - about 6 foot wide.
10th February 2012

Hello
Hi Guys, sounds amazing, I'm enjoying every day reading your updates. Bit more about the shopping and purchases please....stay safe.xx
13th February 2012

Shopping
will give more details about shopping when better internet. But am considering opening a Morocco shop in competition!I wish postage not so expensive.
14th February 2012

home report
hi folks didn,t get your blog for awhile must of been out of internet range .everything is good at home haven,t spoken to ted but have seen him geting about .the last lot of rain seem,d to bypass us but it,s not as dry as where you are. instead of watching the today show i catch up with what you,r doing bye.
14th February 2012

Reply to Home Report
Glad we are in front of Carl and Georgie!!!!!! Hopefully entertaining some and love yr comments. Have spoken to Ted and all seems well. So much rain he even mowed the lawn at home. Would have loved to have seen him drive the lawn mower. Daniel left for US today, so he home alone. Cheers, KB

Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0724s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb