FACES OF MALI...TIMBUKTU


Advertisement
Mali's flag
Africa » Mali » North-West » Timbuktu
April 13th 2011
Published: May 8th 2011
Edit Blog Post

FACES OF MALI...TIMBUKTU



Many faces partially obscured by the indigo turbans of the Tuareg..or smiling from them...the nomadic peoples of the southern Sahara Desert...strong faces...showing resolve, endurance and handsome all...Tuaregs arriving by camel to trade...but also Songhai (descendents of the Songhai Empire who once controlled the gold & salt trade) & Bozo (fishermen of the Niger) also wear turbans of many colours to protect from the unrelenting strong sun...Felani (nomadic herders & traders) in their distinctive dome hats...

We are now in Timbuktu...that mythical location that does exist...and these people bear witness to that...

Timbuktu...overtaken by the Sahara Desert...the city of 333 saints...repository for ancient manuscripts...where 3,000 rifles were burnt in 1996 to mark the end of the Tuareg rebellion in the Place de la Paix "the Flame of Peace"...Timbuktu...La Mysterieuse...

Welcome to Timbuktu...relax & enjoy...

Regards,

Dancing Dave (who rocked through Mali to Timbuktu to dance at the Festival au Desert)



Additional photos below
Photos: 63, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

ITS A SMALL WORLDITS A SMALL WORLD
ITS A SMALL WORLD

A man entered our Tuareg encampment at the Festival au Desert..."Excuse me...are you David Hooper?"...blow me over with a feather...its Peter Jensen...a class mate from high school in Sydney over 40 years ago!!!
SWORD DANCERSWORD DANCER
SWORD DANCER

at our Tuareg wedding at the Festival au Desert
TUAREG TRADERTUAREG TRADER
TUAREG TRADER

Had magnificent jewellery & camelskin bags...Den bought an exquisite silver & black onyx pendant...as you do...
MOHAMED & RHISSAMOHAMED & RHISSA
MOHAMED & RHISSA

Brothers and our drivers from Timbuktu to Bamako...A photo of Rhissa is on the back cover of Bradts Mali Travel Guide Edition 3
FELANI TRADER...WE MEET AGAINFELANI TRADER...WE MEET AGAIN
FELANI TRADER...WE MEET AGAIN

Met him at Djenne, then Ennde in Dogon Country...then again in Timbuktu..."Are you following us?"
SAMBA TOURESAMBA TOURE
SAMBA TOURE

My favourite muso at the Festival au Desert... hypnotic performer...was the late Ali Farke Toure's support guitarist... met him later in Bamako
TUAREG CHIEFTUAREG CHIEF
TUAREG CHIEF

Bought the leather & shell pendant from around his neck...does that make me a chief?
TUAREG TRADERTUAREG TRADER
TUAREG TRADER

Travelled 400 kms across the desert to be here...I bought two exquisite silver tuareg crosses for a secret price...
THE BRIDE & GROOMTHE BRIDE & GROOM
THE BRIDE & GROOM

30 years of marriage...and still dancing...
MAMAYTIMAMAYTI
MAMAYTI

The Tuareg chief who brought the Tuaregs to our wedding at the Festival au Desert...now we are part of his family...& eternally grateful.
THE WHITE TUAREGTHE WHITE TUAREG
THE WHITE TUAREG

Mike...our Best Man
JULIAJULIA
JULIA

Our bridesmaid...looking magnificent as usual...
ARRIVINGARRIVING
ARRIVING

Festival au Desert


10th May 2011

Fantastic photography!
You are very skilled at your art. Fantastic.
12th May 2011

Invitation to our Tuareg wedding
Thank you for your response.I invite you to follow my site...I am blogging Mali...leading up to our Tuareg wedding at the Festival in the Desert...then Ethiopia ...stunning! I am new to blogging but hooked. I look forward to reading further from your site.

Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0793s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb