Fianarantsoa


Advertisement
Madagascar's flag
Africa » Madagascar » Fianarantsoa
August 12th 2005
Published: July 5th 2017
Edit Blog Post

At the clubAt the clubAt the club

With Aina and Serge (our pirogue guide). Drinking THB, Madagascar's most popular beer. It's very good :)
Geo: -21.494, 47.5117

We'd heard a lot about 'The F... Place!' as Aina is writing his dissertation on tourism there. Of course, this worked hugely in our favour as Aina knew everything and everyone! It took us all day to get there in our bling mobile, stopping at Parc National de L'Isalo for a scenic picnic with the friendly flies! On our arrival we were met by the owner of The Tsara Guesthouse, a very important figure who has done a fantastic job saving and restoring the traditional tile-roofed buildings in the city. Very worthwhile as they are beautiful! Fianarantsoa is like a baby Tana, very similar but smaller. I immediately warmed to the place. It has a wonderful friendly atmosphere.

The highlight of our stay here was a pirogue trip. A pirogue is a dug out canoe used by Madagascan locals for fishing and transportation (not all that well engineered for Fat Fazhar - they were tiny!!) I have to admit the first few minutes were rather hairy but after I had got used to being just 2 inches off the water surface, it was bliss! It was so relaxing and the scenery was stunning. The route cut through mountains and we floated by snippets of the busy village life by the riverside, waving at the locals. There is no such thing as a simple greeting in Madagascar. A simple 'hello' will not surfice. All kinds of questions can form part of the greeting i.e. 'how was yesterday?''How is your family?' 'How was breakfast the day before yesterday??!!'It was great, as the ongoing grown of malagasy greetings happily drowned out the grumblings of a certain moody little sister sitting behind me!! The trip was 5 hrs long with a stop at cascades for a luxury picnic. My back was beginning to ache by the end and I got incredibly sunburnt. On the way back we visited the tree plantations and got to see a train full of bananas passing along Madagascar's one railway line.

Rebecca and I had an extravagant dinner at Tsara Guesthouse. Rebecca's reward for having survived the day! Then we all went out for an exciting night out on the town. My expectations for Madagascan night life were not high but I was extremely impressed! We had a great time. The DJ fell in love with Rebecca which meant we eventually got our requests for 'Dancing Queen' even if it did mean everyone else in the club left! We staggered back around 3am.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

ChurchChurch
Church

This Church has been lovingly restored by the owner of Tsara Guesthouse. Upstairs is the Church and downstairs is a school.
On the pirogueOn the pirogue
On the pirogue

As you can see it was a close fit!
Our Crazy Driver!Our Crazy Driver!
Our Crazy Driver!

He was in the nightclubs every night! So cool!!
Parc National de L'IsaloParc National de L'Isalo
Parc National de L'Isalo

Our picnic spot on route
Passing the sacksPassing the sacks
Passing the sacks

These poor guys had been carrying these sacks all the way from Ambalavao!
Tea PlantationTea Plantation
Tea Plantation

We are being teapots! Note my rather red face!!
The PirogueThe Pirogue
The Pirogue

It was definitely lower down when we were on it!
VillageVillage
Village

The village in the middle of nowhere where we waited for our car to turn up
Wood Carving of the cityWood Carving of the city
Wood Carving of the city

This is on the door to the Church
Zebu Attack!Zebu Attack!
Zebu Attack!

I couldn't resist it. had to go try hug a zebu! I was rejected :( His eyes didn't look the friendliest! Stick with the lemurs!


Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0348s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb