How I Miss a Qwerty Keyboard!!!


Advertisement
Madagascar's flag
Africa » Madagascar » Ambositra
April 6th 2008
Published: April 6th 2008
Edit Blog Post

This country is wild!!!
I can't exactly write an extensive entry, because this French keyboard drives me up the wall, but I thought an update was necessary. The city of Maputo was fantastic. Very functional, affordable, and had many western comforts it felt that we had been without for far too long. We ate well, caught up on the sporting world (mostly negative for Vancouver fans), and went to a jam-packed nightclub to dance the night away. Our bus ride into Johanessburg was a piece of cake, because a relative of Will's was there to get us from the infamous Park Station.
South Africa is a completely different world than the rest of southern Africa. Shopping malls everywhere, fast food joints, and multi-lane highways, to name just a few of the many differences. We spent three fantastic nights in the care of Scott (the aforementioned relative) and his very hospitable family. Ate well, drank well, had long hot showers, and even got to catch a movie. Johanessburg failed to rear it's ugly head, as we were far too occupied with the developed city to let it's terrible reputation bother us.
I am typing from Antsirabe, Madagascar, after an action packed couple of days. The capital city, Antananarivo (much easier to pronounce than anywhere else in this confusing country), was crowded, hectic, polluted, and incredible all at the same time. Being a french colony, we have so far been spoiled with great croissants and coffee, and the thousands of tiny "hotely's" (cafe's) were a feast for the senses. We then headed out to Antsirabe, a 3 hour taxi-brousse ride through the rolling hills and many rice fields. Today, we biked for 20 km's to a few gorgeous lakes, one being a turquoise volcanic lake, and enjoyed our deep-fried feast from amongst the trees while gazing at the unique landscape. I then proceeded to cliff jump off a 20m ledge into the lake. Will got it on video. It was quite nerve-wracking, but I have to get warmed up for the bungee jump at Victoria Falls.
Tomorrow we are taking off for 11 days to paddle 160km on the Tsiribihina river, bike 120km (and back) to the Tsingy national park, and then visit the Avenue of the Baobabs. It is a dirt-cheap tour, far off the beaten tourist track, and hopefully will present us with a much different perspective on the country of Madagascar. It's not that our experience hasn't been enriching so far, it's just that it is much different than the mainland. First off, nobody leaves you alone, ever. Biking 20 kms into the woods still left us being harrassed for money, water, etc. by as many as 15 people at a time. The other difference is you have to bargain for EVERYTHING, and regardless of how hard you try, you will always pay more than a Malagasy person receiving the same service. If we had encountered this any sooner it might have been overwhelming, but after being on the road for over 4 months now, it is something you have to take in stride. On top of that, noone speaks English, and neither Will or I are exactly fluent in our countries other official language. That being said, this country is incredibly unique, an outrageous blend of African, southeast Asian, and European culture, and 1 month will simply not do it justice.
Love you and miss you all,
Graham P



Advertisement



Tot: 0.158s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0549s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb