Closed


Advertisement
Liberia's flag
Africa » Liberia
July 27th 2010
Published: July 27th 2010
Edit Blog Post

The Majority of the Liberian Community extended their weekend in honor Independance Day and so most offices and businesses were closed. We were unable to volunteer ( though Joyce did get to visit the Monrovian Prison with the Minister of Justice) so instead a small group of us did some sightseeing. We began by driving to Providence Island, the place Freed American Slaves first touched ground on the Mayflower (not to be confused with the Pilgrim's Mayflower). Small and quaint, the place reminded me of something in the middle of the Delaware River inn Philadelphia. We took a few snapshots and then continued.

After the island we went to the Africa Hotel. Originally an incredibly opulent hotel on the coast, the Africa Hotel was gradually destroyed during the war, windows blown out, rooms ravaged, and systematically picked apart until all that remains is the skeleton of what was once, clearly a beautiful building. Over 60 people were murdered there and now slowly the forest is taking over the building and grounds. We took pictures of rubble, the structure, and the pool (to give you an idea of the extravagance of the hotel... it had a poolside bar built in that was tiled in white and blue, something that seems incredibly over the top given the poverty of the country). It was devastating.

We headed next to the statue of Robert Joseph Jenkins, the first president of Liberia, which was located at the top of a hill that overlooked the city and sea. Next door to the statue Ducor Palace, originally the most expensive hotel in Liberia which is now (similar to the Africa Hotel) just a shadow of its former self.

Finally we headed to UN Drive, passed by the Mwamba (sp? I can't remember the spelling) Hotel, and then headed home.

Tomorrow we will be heading to the HIV Hospice and then the Orphanage. Only two more full days here!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 5; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0415s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb