Lesotho


Advertisement
Lesotho's flag
Africa » Lesotho » Butha Buthe
July 17th 2019
Published: July 19th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Ron was very excited to be travelling up the Sani Pass to enter a new country, Lesotho. Our driver from Roof of Africa tours picked us up in a four wheel drive, a necessity for tackling the pass. It took two hours of bumping along gravel roads, some with steep drops to reach the summit of the pass at 2873 metres. After crossing the border, Ron enjoyed a beer at the the highest pub in Africa, the only building at the top of the pass before we travelled on through the mountains of Lesotho.

Lesotho is a landlocked country encircled by South Africa, just over 30,000 km square with a population of just over 2 million. It is considered the highest country in the world due to its lowest point being 1400 metres, hence "why Nepal isnt the highest country". Lesthos claim to fame is that it has the highest lowest point of any country.

We crossed the country from east to west, it took around six hours to drive from the pass to our lodge and our first two night stop in ten days since we were in the UK. Maliba lodge is located in the Tsehlanyane National park in the mountains, our room had a private viewing platform to sit and take in the surrounds. We really enjoyed our two nights at the lovely lodge and a well needed rest stop after lots of early morning and long drives.


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Rock Hyrax on the way up the passRock Hyrax on the way up the pass
Rock Hyrax on the way up the pass

Related to an elephant!


Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0383s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb