Day 6 - Amboseli to Tanzania


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya
October 24th 2015
Published: November 3rd 2015
Edit Blog Post

We got our early morning game drive in starting at 6:20. We almost got to see Mt Kilimanjaro but it was just too cloudy.

We tried to enjoy the game drive but we had a lot on our minds with the trouble Kenya Walking Survivors had given us. You know that Day 1 post when I said OT seemed like an honest guy. Yikes was I wrong. Again though, for a different post.

The morning drive was very pretty. We came across the usual herd animals and a big group of vultures. And then we saw a group of 3 lions. They were all laying out in the open and if another van wasn't already there I am pretty sure we would have driven right by them. They really were camouflaged. They were the main attraction in the park that morning as there were at least a dozen vans watching them. What was really amazing to see is that there was a big group of gazelles maybe 100 yards away. It looked like they were daring the cats to try to get them. One of the gazelles was particularly bold going within maybe 50 yards.

The lionesses walked around a little bit but ultimately made their way to some brush and disappeared. Francis said the gazelles would be far too fast for the lions.

We concluded the game drive, went back to the lodge and packed up and then were on our way to Namanga, the border town to Tanzania, where we would leave Francis. Kenyan guides are not allowed to work in Tanzania.

Leaving Francis was both sad and nerve racking. We had grown to really like Francis and trust him. He really looked out for us amidst all the struggles with Kenya Walking Survivors.

At the border we went through the departing system and after that said goodbye to Francis. He introduced us to our driver who would take us to Arusha. Getting through customs took a while but eventually we were on our way to Arusha.

Immediately across the border it was evident rural Tanzania was better off than rural Kenya. The roads were paved and had shoulders and painted lines. The gas stations were newer and had stores. Even the Maasai dirt huts were constructed more soundly.

Arusha was hopping with activity. Voting day for the presidential election is tomorrow and there is a lot of excitement. A peace sign was for the opposition. Thumbs up for the incumbent party. People had flags and rallies were being held.

We met Mike, the Kenya Walking Survivors Tanzania manager. Ugh. He and a driver took us to Fanaka Lodge on the outskirts of Lake Manyara National Park. We were back to budget accommodations with this place which was a little disappointing after our awesome accommodations the night before. We didn't arrive until around 5 so we didn't do a game drive. We just cleaned up, ate some dinner and went to bed.



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0568s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb