Matatus!


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya
January 26th 2010
Published: January 26th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Matatus... where do i start. They are small buses - minibuses. Pretty much everday we get on one and get off saying 'only in kenya'. A few examples:
they are meant to hold 14 people, but frequently hold 20+, which results in you sitting on a strangers lap.
they drive off without the conductor, who then has to throw himself at the side of the vehicle and jump in while it is moving.
they dont all have windows - if a window breaks, you replace it with a plastic bag, and hope noone notices...
i sat on one the other day where the sseat hadnt been nailed to the floor properly and moved back and forward every time we went in a hole - it is kenya, there are a lot of holes.
the drivers eat while driving and then swerve in the road as they throw out the shells of the nuts they were eating.
in nairobi on saturday, it took 20 minutes to leave the station due to the volume of traffic, then drove round the block and back to the station as most of the people on the bus didnt want to pay the fare they were charging. it then took a further 30 minutes to leave the station again, and then a 1hr 30 min journey home.
i could go on, but really dont want to - all in all, it is good fun. 'Only in Kenya' is currently probably our favourite saying.

What else have i been up to...?
This weekend just gone i went to meet priscillas family in Kikuyu. they have a big family meeting once a month and we were invited a long. it involved a lot of food (i mean a lot - think about 8 different dishes - you are expected to have them all, and then have seconds), lots of tusker (the lager they drink here) and lots of singing and dancing, followed by more food - brithday cake and roasted beef - and more drink. it was brilliant fun, but we got home and were then expected to eat dinner...
Have spoken to mum, dad, gemma and christopher again this weekend - its nice being able to talk to them, although so much happens in a week, i forget to tell them loads!
Have been given another bracelet by a child at school today - i now have 5, plus one that priscilla bought me when we were in nairobi on saturday!
From now on, i am going to be teaching my children about the tenses. this will be interesting, as i dont understand it myself - if anyone has any ideas of how to do this in a fun and interesting way, please let me know!
It is now reaching the mid 30s here. just though you might all like to know that while you freeze at home 😊 to be honest, it is too hot to work in, but im not going to complain!

I cant think of anything more to tell you at the moment, but I am sure there is loads. I will let you know when i think of something.



Advertisement



2nd February 2010

Buses & Tents
So you won't be complaining about the local buses when you get back then! Chris has volunteered to pop over and help with the tents and he will bring the one he got for Christmas!! Lots of luv, your Dad

Tot: 0.285s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0399s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb