Kenya


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya
July 19th 2008
Published: August 11th 2008
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Masai War Dance 9 secs
Hi all, luckily for you this will be a quick blog cause we have only spent roughly a week in Kenya, and most of that time has been wandering around game parks. So some sweet photo's to come.

The landscape of Kenya is what you would imagine when you think about Africa. Vast low grasslands, a pleasant change to the mountainous regions of Uganda. (and the cold!)

We stayed at an amazing campsite at Lake Naivasha (spelling?), and I say cool because the Hippo all come out of the lake at night for a walk around. It is comforting to know that a 1 foot high electric fence is keeping them at bay!
As for stories, we visited Crater Lake seeing Giraffes, Hippos, Flamingos, Impalas, Monkeys, and Zebras. It is surreal to see all these animals just walking around together, as opposed to seeing them in seperate cages at a zoo.
Unfortunately, Jeanne the amazing Irish girl I met on tour, had to head home. Very sad.

Next stop was the Masai Mari where we saw the same grazing animals as well as predators like the Lions and Crocs. Oh and there were entire families of Elephants too.
Michael and JeanneMichael and JeanneMichael and Jeanne

This is what a beautiful Irish girl looks like....(umm...the one on the right for all the smart asses!)
The Wilderbeast were already in the park so we unfortunately missed the migration by about 4 days we were told. But we did get to wander down to the river at the famous point where the heard cross into the Masai. Needless to say there were footprints everywhere and the Crocs looks fat, happy, and lazy. As far as you could see there were Wilderbeast and Zebra all grazing together. Apparently this is because one of them has good hearing, and the other has good eye-sight so they compliment each other well. Hehe, as soon as one bolts, they ALL bolt!

On the way back from the park we stopped in and spent some time with a local Masai tribe. They were all in their traditional warrior clothing and performed a few dances including the famous 'jumping' dance. We got to go into one of the houses/mud shacks for a look. They are tiny and dark, and also smell a little because they are made partially out of cow dung and 8 people live in each shack. The village itself is pretty cool, it is compact and surrounded by a stick fence to keep predators out. All the huts are around the edge and the space in the middle is used to bring the cattle in at night to keep them safe.
We got to check out their weapons, learn a bit about their traditions, and they showed us how to light fire with two bits of wood in about 60 seconds. You may be interested to know that the young warriors are sent into the bush when they are 10 years old to live for 6 months, and are supposed to return home with the head of a Lion. Pfff, good luck.

We then headed back into Nairobi and prepared to cross down into Tanzania. Check out the wildlife photos because that is what Kenya is all about.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

More ElephantsMore Elephants
More Elephants

Just chillin out in the Maasai Mari game park...you know...
CrocCroc
Croc

These guys were bigger than the crocs in QLD


Tot: 0.142s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0352s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb