Visiting Passion Orphanage


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Western Province
June 26th 2011
Published: June 26th 2011
Edit Blog Post

There are certain moments in Kenya that change you; they change the way you think about everything in your life. I had one of these moments yesterday while visiting the Passion Orphanage located just outside of Bungoma in an area called Skata. A small boy entered the room where I had just finished eating lunch. His arms were only about as round as a quarter. His belly stuck out like a balloon, and just above his belly, I could count every rib in his little chest. His shirt was a rag being held together in the front by a frayed string. His feet were bare. Lydia (orphanage founder) spoke to him and soothed him in a language I could not understand. You see this orphanage is just in its beginning, it currently is not housing the children—it is only feeding them and sending them to school. There are volunteers in the community that take-in the kids, giving them a place to stay, raising them. This small boy had been living with an uncle who was unable to care for him with his other children… so the uncle sent the boy to live in another home….but at this home the boy was not being cared for properly. The sickly condition of the child now made this very obvious. Luckily that boy would not go back to where he had been living. He would stay with Lydia, until a better placement could be made for him. However, the image of that child will stay in my mind forever. Why him? What did he do to deserve this? Why do I get blessed with a satisfactory meal at least three times a day, but this child has gone without for a whole week?? How does our Lord choose who suffers and who doesn’t? Why are there people living well beyond what is necessary, and others – so young, so innocent, are forced to suffer like this without a bath, without clothes, without food. If you are reading this, please look at your own life. Look at the computer in front of you right now. Look at your home, your family, the amount of food in your fridge…. Look at it and be thankful. Be thankful you weren’t chosen to suffer like that little boy who I met yesterday. Also, please pray for those who are suffering today. Maybe live your life a bit differently than you do… try to Live simply...so that another may simply live. God Bless you all!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0281s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb