Blog 4


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Western Province
March 21st 2010
Published: March 21st 2010
Edit Blog Post

Jambo!

Today is Sunday. The days have begun to run together and we are running out of time to accomplish all that we hoped to do.

We spent this morning and yes into the afternoon, attending church service at Geoffry's church. Geoffry is our accountant and also the minister for a small church in his community. We met his wife and 2 (twin) daughters, and then had a 3 hour service. It was long by our standards, but truly we felt honored to be there and to share in this that is so important in the lives of many Kenyans. His 13 year old daughter played keyboard throughout the service -- either accompanying hymns or providing a background for worship. And there was an old man (by his admission -- 75 years old!) who played the guitar beautifully. I think the music was my favorite part of the service.

On our way home, we stopped at a small hospital and checked in with one of our sponsored boys who has been there for the past week. His aunt was there, sitting with him. He was sitting up and responsive, but clearly weak.

We feel that we are accomplishing many things. We've bought school supplies and clothing for some of the children who were needing things. We are still working on implementing a new diet, which includes fish and beef each once a week, regular servings of fruit, vegetables and milk. We will be able to estimate the cost of this diet after a week and compare it to the current budget. The children were excited to get little dried fish in their dinner last night.

We've got plans underway to set up the tailoring room and are inventorying supplies left on a previous visit. The library is in good shape. Danica's murals are complete. Children have gotten lessons on letter writing and have composed letters to their sponsors. The store room on the grounds of VCH has been cleared out. Construction on the new vented roof for the kitchen begins tomorrow and we've identified a stove that will use less fuel and be less smokey. And once again, we are working on insuring that there is ample water for bathing, cooking and drinking.

Addie, Debby and Stacy spent yesterday doing crafts with the kids. They seemed to love it, and many were still wearing their masks with sequins this morning when we passed by the Children's Home. Last night was movie night, complete with pb&j sandwiches.

I have two more days at the Vihiga Children's Home before leaving on a brief safari. We must finish interviewing and measuring the sponsored children, and then we need to see who is eligible for sponsorship. That alone will probably consume my next two days.

So far all 10 of us are healthy ... although tired!

Sending love, Deborah

Advertisement



Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0519s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb