Vihiga Children's Home Volunteer Project


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Western Province
July 19th 2008
Published: July 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hello Everyone: Our group of 14 volunteers from Thomas Jefferson Unitarian Church in Louisville, Ky., USA has arrived and begun work on the summer projects. For those of you who aren't familiar with this, Vihiga Children's Home is an orphanage in Western Province of Kenya. Our church sponsors 96 orphans at the home, giving them support and education through secondary school. We make periodic visits to undertake building and other work projects.
This summer we are staying at the Sosa Cottages, which is within a mile of the orphanage. This new country hotel has just opened. Very reasonable rates, clean, hot showers, TV, modern furnishings and tasty food. No problems with health if you stay here, and we highly recommend it to any traveler.
We have been tending to the children's health needs and are drilling a bore hole (well) to bring clean water to the surface. The first floor of a 3 storey dorm is near completion. We've just painted the windows, floors and doors, plus installed window panes. We will open the dorm formally next week.
The children's home has had a recent windfall in the form of an Italian group who have donated funds to construct a much needed dining hall. Til now, the children grabbed a plate and ate on the concrete steps of their classroom building, or sat on their bunks. They would stash food and this created a cockroach problem.
The children are wonderful. Three university students from our church are having a great time playing with them. Today we organized a field trip and picnic to Kakamega Forest, a rain forest near here.
The children are happy, reasonably well fed and so very excited to have their sponsors visit. Those whose sponsors have never visited REALLY would like a visit.
My job today has been to buy shoes for our students in secondary school and to "go fer" supplies needed by our workers at the building. Oh...don't forget we have been digging a ditch for the water line from the well to the new tower that will hold a storage tank. Exhausting work which causes some people to turn in early at night.
We are thinking in future of promoting "mission tourism" through our church, with safaris to Masai Mara tacked on after the work project. This is our pipe dream at the moment.
This is rewarding work, and no matter what difficulties or cultural misunderstandings we ecounter, I believe it is some of the most worthwhile labor I've done.
We'll leave here in about a week. For friends and family, we are all well and enjoying ourselves.

Advertisement



20th July 2008

My heart is full of gratitude for all the work you and the team members are doing to learn about the children and staff of Vihiga Children's Home, their hopes and dreams and how we may lend a hand on their path to responsible and fulfilling lives. Highest Regards, Dennis Neyman
21st July 2008

Proud
Tara and I are so proud we would burst! Hug Linda and Hillary and Mrs. A for me.

Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0411s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb