Kenyan Primary Schools: an American observes


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Western Province
July 9th 2008
Published: July 9th 2008
Edit Blog Post

The following observations are based on my many visits to schools in the Western Province during 2006 & 2008. I also briefly taught standard five in Western Province at Vihiga Children's Home. Kenyans, both adults and children, also provided information. I would appreciate feedback from any Kenyans who read this article. I'm writing mainly for members and friends who sponsor children at the orphanage.
Primary school consists of eight classes, called "standards". Your sponsored student may write you that he or she is in "st. 6" for example. Typical subjects include: mathematics, Kiswahili, English, Science, Social Studies and Christian Religious Education. All students study English because English and Kiswahili are the official languages. Church and state are separate in Kenya, as in the US, but many public and private Kenyan schools are affiliated with a particular religious denomination. Thus there may be a Salvation Army partially funded public primary school or a private Islamic school. Keyans don't perceive a problem with these religious affiliations in public schools. Indeed, most Kenyans are deeply religious people who advocate moral and religious training in schools.
The question arises, whether primary school is really "free" of charge in Kenya. Yes, free primary education began approximately 2003. But no, it's not entirely free when you consider that parents must cover the cost of uniforms, books and supplies. Additonally, parents who are subsistence farmers must sacrifice to send their child to school ...in lieu of having him or her provide much needed labor on the family shamba (farm). For this reason, not all Kenyan children attend school.
Discipline is frequently stricter than in the US. Although "caning" or corporal punishment is legally forbidden, it occurs. Regulation uniforms and shoes are required of each student through secondry school. Children are taught to respect and obey their elders without argument, and their emotional needs or preferences are not a focus in the way that we tend to focus on these in the US. This is why, when we communicate with our sponsored child, we have a problem getting answers to questions such as what do you like or want. It's not unusual for a child to defer to an older student or adult for the answer to those quesitons.
Textbooks are government approved. They are written at an advanced level, when compared with US texts of the same level. The Kenyan school syllabus is very ambitious. Instruciton is generally by lecture, I have not seen participatory, exploratory or small group activities employed. Music, dancing, and sports after class hours are tremendously important here, much more emphasized for all than in the US.
You may be shocked when you see your child's report card, because Kenyan teachers mark very strictly and don't hand out good grades for effort. Averages such as 70% or lower are common, even with good students. Your child also has a class ranking, based on GPa, such as "13 of 27", to which the school attaches much importance. It is not unusual for your child to repeat a standard. Classes normally are held M-F and on Saturday mornings. The school year schedule is Jan-March, holiday in April, May-=July, holiday in August, and Sept-Nov. with holiday in DEcember. In November of the 8th year all students take a national exam (500 points), that will determine their eligibility for secondry schools. Those who score between 250-300 will enter a district high school such as Mnzatzi. BEtween 300-400, a student is eligible to attend a more prestigious provincial high school such as Chavakali Boys or Tigoi Girls. WIth a score of 350-500 and sufficient money, students may attend a top national secondary school like Kakamega High or Alliance in Nairobi. The cost of these top schools ranges from 60,000KSH per year ($1000) and up. If your child obtains a score lower than 250 on the exam, he either repeats standard eight or can go to a private high school, where the parents must pay. Alternately, someone who can never pass the exam will go on to a polytechnic school to learn a trade.
Hey Kenyans, is this reasonably accurate? Thanks, Kathi Peterson, USA

Advertisement



10th July 2008

Fascinating
Kathi, as an educator I find your blog fascinating. I wish education in the U.S. were more rigorous and the discipline stricter. You know how ill prepared some of our students are for college. Also, I think we worry too much about the student's self-esteem here instead of setting high standards. I wish you the best. I look forward to talking with you when you get back to TJ.

Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0396s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb