Samburu Tribal village


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Rift Valley Province » Samburu NR
March 9th 2008
Published: March 12th 2008
Edit Blog Post

After our game drives in Samburu National Reserve we spent the night camping at a Samburu village. The Samburu Tribe is related to the Masai and like the Masai, they live off their animals only. They don't grow vegetables and they strictly eat meat and drink the milk and blood from the animals. After our experiences with tribes in Ethiopia we were reluctant to visit another village and have another "cultural experience" consisting of photos for money. We were pleasently surprised with exactly the opposite. The Samburu people were such friendly hosts and performed a dance in the evening. They were incredibly helpful and they traded questions with us so that we could exchange information about our different cultures. The next morning they showed us around the village and their market of artwork. Very little hassle, nothing but smiles and not once did anyone complain about photos. Perhaps this is due to the fact that Kenya is way ahead of Ethiopia in terms of tourism development, but we also believe that Ethiopia may also be a bit of a case of Aid gone bad.

Anyways it was a very refreshing and enjoyable introduction to Kenya!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Fire starterFire starter
Fire starter

The traditional way with sticks and dry cow dung.


Tot: 0.287s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 39; qc: 154; dbt: 0.1907s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb