The Masai Mara Game Reserve


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Rift Valley Province » Masai Mara NP
November 22nd 2011
Published: November 23rd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Narok Youth have accused the police of arresting the youth demonstrating against the deal between Narok County Council and Equity bank over the introduction of smart card at the gates of Maasai Mara.

Narok County Youth Congress chairman George ole Narok said that it is wrong for police to arrest the youth who were protesting peacefully for their rights.

Speaking to the press yesterday in Narok town, ole Narok said the state should respect the new constitution which gives the power to air grievances.

“It is against our rights that are reserved in the new constitution for the government to use force against its citizens,”said ole Narok.

Narok added that the ushering in of the new constitution was meant to end of impunity but now it seems to be infertility.

The youth who have held series of demonstration in Nakuru and Narok towns said that they are not opposing the e-ticketing system but the terms of contract the council reached with Equity bank.

“In attaining Vision 2030, we emphasize on the use of technology, to make service delivery efficient and effective. Therefore the idea of e-Ticketing is long overdue but at the same time we would like to poke the loopholes that have been created in the good idea to enrich a few people at the expense of the population,” said ole Narok.

They alleged that there were no consultations with various stakeholders whether the process was all inclusive.

“In any project there is always an entry and an exit strategy, to our best of knowledge the e-ticketing process will reduce staffing by almost 60% was this idea shared to the current staff for them to think of further alternatives once the system comes into effect,” he said

Narok claimed that during opening of the county tender the public were not invited to witness the process for fairness.

“The 7.5% commission to Equity Bank is extremely high compared to 2% tendered by Co-operative Bank. The 10 years contract for a council on transition is too high and this could end up to be a liability to the county in the long run. A genuine contract should not exceed 2 years to allow the coming county government to enter into viable Contracts and Projects on Behalf of the people within the parameters of the new constitution, “Said ole Narok.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.039s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb