The mighty Mara


Advertisement
Published: August 17th 2009
Edit Blog Post

013013013

Maasai women
Our game drive at Nakuru had whet our appetite for one of Africa’s most famous parks - the Maasai Mara, which is where we headed next. We all hoped that we would see one of nature’s great spectacles in action - the annual wildebeest migration. We’d heard that the migration had started, so were confident we’d see something at the Mara.

On the way to the park itself, we call in at a Maasai village to learn about their way of life and partake in some more tribal bouncing. Even more so than the Pokot tribe we visited at Lake Baringo, the Maasai visit feels like an entirely commercial and somewhat false experience. It is hot, the flies swarm around us and the stench from the cow manure - which forms the floor of the village and the walls of the huts, make for a pretty stifling atmosphere. When we're ushered over to their market stalls to buy Maasai trinkets, I’ve had enough and return to the truck.

We drive into the Mara with high expectations. Our first sighting is a lioness reclining lazily on a rock... and unlike the lion at Baringo, we can actually see this one!
018018018

Hungry hippos
Heading further into the park, we see large black patches in the distant grasslands and realise instantly what they are - wildebeest. As we drive on, we come upon more and more wildebeest - the migration hasd started, and the creatures are heading towards one of the most dangerous legs of their journey, crossing the Mara river.

Heading to the river, we're slightly disappointed to see that the wildebeest haven’t yet reached the banks, but we see hippos and crocodiles (no doubt bristling at the thought of the impending feast!) as well as more zebra and impala. The majesty of the Mara is clear to see, even though we don’t see any more big cats. But it doesn’t matter... in a few days we will be in what is arguably Africa’s best game reserve - the Serengeti.

From the Mara, we head back to Nairobi, gorge ourself on meat at Carnivores (highly recommended!) and visit giraffe and elephant sanctuarys before preparing ourselves for the border crossing into Tanzania.



Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

015015
015

Our first lion
022022
022

A herd of buffalo


17th August 2009

Thanks again for sharing
You take very good photos.....keep them coming.

Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0315s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb