safari day 3


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Rift Valley Province » Lake Nakuru NP
June 13th 2007
Published: June 13th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Have now seen my first real african animals! We went on a very long game drive through the national park yesterday and saw hundreds of animals, including 2 of the big 5 - white rhinos and buffalo. We also saw a few giraffes, gazelles, hyenas, and hundreds of flamingos!

We had torrential rain for an hour or so late afternoon so went to set up camp early - we camped in the park with nothing between us and the animals but the canvas of our tents! I still managed to sleep somehow, even though when we went to bed there were a herd of buffalo about 100m from our tents!

We were up at 6 this morning to start our morning game drive when the sun rose, as this is the time when the animals are most active, and had breakfast (tropical fruit salad and bread and jam) on the top of a cliff overlooking the park a few hours later.

Really enjoying the safari so far - its so much more fun looking at the animals when you actually have to spot them in their natural environment, instead of watching them in a cage in the zoo!

We cross the border into uganda this afternoon, and apparently have hot running water in our campsite tonight - luxury! and flushing toilets instead of long-drops!

Have tried to upload some photos but it took too long and the truck is going to leave - maybe I'll have better luck at the next place!




Advertisement



Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0333s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb