the last 6 weeks!


Advertisement
Published: May 22nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Sorry for being so lame with this blog malarky, time always seems so short when we even get time on tinternet but here is an epic blog entry for you and theres some pictures on debs facebook for you too. so heres a run down of whats been going on over the last few weeks. about 5/6 weeks ago we had opur mid project break. emma climbed kilimanjaro and a couple of people climed mt meru but we headed to the beach! we were heading to mombassa in kenya which involved a very cramped, hot, 10 hour journey on possibly the most frightening road in africa (according to the lonely planet guide book!) no toilet stops and 10000 biscuits later we arrived in mombassa almost without bags as debs was sure hers had definately fallen off the bus at least 3 times! we got in a dodgy taxi and headed across on a ferry to Diani beach, apparently the most popular beach resort in east africa so very nice! - exept itwas cold and raining and we hadnt weed in 10 hrs and had only eaten biscuits!.. so with a full bladder and a sugar high being pulled over by african police didnt go down very well, especially when the driver ends up paying a bribe to have you in his car. we eventually arrived to find where we wanted to stay was closed so ended up staying in a seedy hostel with chicken and chips for tea! definately our healthiest day yet! the next morning we checked out after some toasty and eggy. it was still raining but our motto for the day was PMA, positive mental attitude! so we hopped in a cab and went to the cottage as intended and as we arrived the sun came out!! woo! and the cottage turned out to be even better than we had imagined, right on the beach with a beautiful veranda, no hot water but as the sun came out ruth complained it was too hot! we went tut supermarket, its no asda but there were no rice and beans in sight. we headed straight to the apple juice and weetabix, its strange the things you miss. after the shops it was bikini time, we were slightly shocked of the affects of our african diet but 15 men still tried to marry us! the blokes are known as the beach boys. they prowl the beach for european women to 'befriend' even if you already have a husband, they can come and live with you in england! they werent too bad but it got a bit much when one started stroking anjanas hair! after some frolicks in the sea we went back to the cottage for some spag bol accompanied by some rather curious kenyan rum! after dinner the lights went out, we decided it was safer inside as previously that day wed encountered a mysterious fellow dressed in a cloak surveying the beach armed with a bow and arrow! we took cover under our huge mosquito net (there were enough beds for everyone but we still decided to share!) and discovered that tom had once made a naked calender of himself for november and took it to school to show his friends! note to self, dont ask people for secrets! in the morning much weetabix joy was had by all but little did we know the fun was soon to be shortlived... more frolicking on the beach and coctails at a lovely beach bar. on the way back we discovered the boys also frolicking in the sea (these boys who apparently hate the beach and never wanted to come in the first place but couldnt think of anything else to do!) as we entered the cottage we were greeted by a curious aroma and an odd squelching sensation under debs foot. then on entry to the kitchen we discovered a pile of banana skins, a crisp packet on the stairs, ransacked weetabix and breadcrumbs everywhere and a rather exessive trail of poo all around the house, wed been raided by monkeys!So then we proceeded to search the house, armed with a saucepan and Debs dressed in a raincoat and towel for protection...just more poop but no monkey!! That evening we had a little dance and a very cool beach bar called Forty Thieves and met some very posh public schools boys from the south, all clad in chino;s and deck shoes - you cant even escape from them in africa! Tim would have fitted in wonderfully! The boys were apparently bored all evening but we had a splendid time and headed back to mombassa the following morning! Was sad to leave our lovely cottage and the views! The bus journey was the same route but took half the time, and tom threw up and Debs smacked her head on the window and got a massive bump!

We headed back to tanzania and realised how much we had missed everyone else, and found out that Emma had made it to the summit of kili and had returned home with our blue peter badge!!

We had quite a lot of work ahead of us for our final two weeks at school, the Fundis had been very busy in our absence painting base coats and preparing for our art attack masterpiece!! Neal Buchannon would have been proud, apart from we used paint rather than straw or whatever!! We also had to sort out stuff for our leaving ceremony, we taught the kids reach (sclub classic!!) Was rather humourus, especially the line "when zee rainbows shinning overs youz".. and we prepared some marvelous dance moves with the mamas - one of whom looks like morgan freeman!! Yes beard and everything!!

It will be really sad to leave, we've got quite attatched to the village. Its so secluded and out the way, which is amazing, there is very little phone network, electricity and no running water! The stars are brighter than you can imagine! It takes Bupay and Dixon about three hours to cook our dinner, just cos they have one little fire, they work so hard for us!!

We went into town that weekend to sort some presents out for them, and supplies for our "bad taste" party the following weekend from the market! That involved a lot of banter and bartering, chasing various men around markets and haglling and shouting! Had an awesome time..and discovered a rather inspiring outfit and shell suits!!

The last week in the village was spent doing all the finishing touches, a bit like changing rooms! (even sung the music!) But finally the nursery was complete! Our final day in the village was the opening ceremony of the nursery, it was a beatuiful day starting african time (4hours late!).. they'd organised the killing of a goat to feed the 5000! Earlier that morning some people went to watch, tom was boasting about being able to fit it himself, and much to our delight 15 mins in he returned home looking rather green! He'd had to leave because he almost blacked out!!haha.. he said it wasn't very pleasant hearing a goat dying from 10 mins and spouting blood from his throat! Was very emotional saying good bye to everyone, and a member of the village wrote a beautiful speach about the differences of skin colour, culture, and distance doesn't mean that we cant bridge the gap to build something beautiful together! The kids sung us a song (von trapp style!) saying goodbye with our names in it! Many tears and speechs later we were presented with Kangas and garlands! Even mike and tom looked particularly fetching! The goat was then carried out on a table in a curious wedding garment, its head fully entact and folliage coming from its mouth!! erugh!.. a feast was had by all and the kids all mobbed us for a few hours and drnkard dancing with the mama's!

We had to leave fairly sharpish and empty the little house that had become our home! Even saying goodbye to Bernard the long drop was sad! :-(..

Now our safari adventures have begun, and we will fill you in shortly! Weve been up to see Mountain Gorrilas and went white water rafting on the nile (grade 5 baby!!!!).. was awesome, but more details to follow!!! We've run out of time! Love to everyone! Hope you dont miss us too much, and hope the spelling and grammatical errors aren't too offensive!!
Love you all
Debs and Ruth
xxx


Advertisement



Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0277s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb