Lake Nakuru


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Rift Valley Province » Lake Nakuru NP
October 9th 2019
Published: November 12th 2019
Edit Blog Post

ZebraZebraZebra

...beautiful markings...and the eyes...
After a successful start to this adventure in Samburu it was off to our second destination: Lake Nakuru...same deal, a couple of days exploring the environs around the lake, and this stop afforded the potential to see a rhino, another top animal on my list...

Bit of a haul from Samburu, and along the way we stopped at a signpost indicating the Equator for some photo ops, followed by a visit to a tea plantation that was cut short due to weather but cool all the same...arrived at our campsite in the early evening, a little late for a game drive so settled into our tents and then it was off for a pint at the little bar in the common building, sweet!

After a breaky the following day we were off, with the plan being a loop around the lake to check out some more wildlife...zebras were the first animals encountered, and we were to see the difference in patterns between these and the more unusual ones in Samburu (they were the more traditional wide stripes in Nakuru as opposed to the more pin-stripes we saw before, never knew there were different varieties!). These were followed by gazelles,
At the Equator...At the Equator...At the Equator...

...allegedly...
warthogs, guinea fowl and some hyenas, was nice just bopping along seeing the animals going about their morning routine...

Came upon some giraffes at this point, and like the zebras these too had different markings than the ones we had seen in Samburu...after a bit of googling to refresh my memory these were Rothschild giraffes, as opposed to the Reticulated ones we had already seen, the biggest difference being the pattern on their coats (Reticulated's coat pattern was more solid and defined, with the Rothschild being a little more detailed perhaps?). I found the markings on the Rothschilds to be a bit more interesting, the added black/dark brown within the panels gave it a more textured look, both beautiful however...

On our way again passing some more birds and gazelles, then we rounded a corner and lo and behold in the distance some rhinos! Super stoked to see these beasts, they are absolute tanks and magnificent to see in person...these were white rhinos, frolicking in the mud to cool down, absolutely awesome...was getting greedy at this point and hoping to catch a glimpse of the rarer (and endangered) black rhino, but as far as I was concerned a rhino was a rhino, a top animal I was hoping to see so all good on that front...and the embarrassment of riches when it came to the wildlife, only about four days in and had seen almost all the animals I was hoping for! This proved to be a big benefit, it gave me the opportunity to put the camera down now and then and just soak in the animals and scenery...

Another new animal was then spotted: the Cape Buffalo...not a pretty creature, basically a huge cow with curled horns but certainly a fixture in the safari documentaries I am apt to watch...generally on the receiving end of a lion attack however...

Made our way down to the shores of the lake, a rare opportunity to get out of the vehicle and stretch our legs which was nice...some flamingos were wading nearby, their pink feathers painting a nice contrast with the blue lake, and as it was a beautiful sunny morning it was nice just hanging out there for a while...

Back in the van for more exploring, entered into a forest which presented us with a bunch of new bird varieties (not much of a bird-guy myself but cool nonetheless)...spotted our first hippo in the water with a cormorant sunning itself on its back, looked more like a rock until Rose our guide pointed it out, would have missed it otherwise! The road then narrowed and gave us the opportunity to get up close and personal with baboons, gazelles, more cape buffaloes, but what blew me away the most were the zebras...always liked them but never held them in high regard, but being mere yards away allowed me more detailed views of their stripes/markings, absolutely beautiful...

A stop by a waterfall for lunch and then back at it, a couple of lionesses were spotted relaxing in the grass, along with a hyena in some shrubs, must have been siesta time for the animals...had come almost full circle around the lake and starting our way back when more rhinos! And these were significantly nearer, way better views of them, couldn't believe our luck...as mentioned they are tanks, they look so peaceful grazing away in the field but certainly wouldn't want to be on the business end of those horns...

And that concluded our Nakuru game drive, spent the evening over a couple of pints
LionessLionessLioness

...keeping an eye on things...
being entertained by a local juggler who had heard we were in the camp, very funny...hard to believe Park 2 was now complete, but looking forward to getting to the Masai Mara the following day...


Additional photos below
Photos: 36, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

RhinoRhino
Rhino

...got much closer the second time around, fantastic...
HyenaHyena
Hyena

...yep, still creepy...
Rothschild GiraffeRothschild Giraffe
Rothschild Giraffe

...loved their markings...
Rhinos!Rhinos!
Rhinos!

...oh man, even more impressive in person...
Cape BuffaloCape Buffalo
Cape Buffalo

...purdy...
Abstract FlamingosAbstract Flamingos
Abstract Flamingos

...at Lake Nakuru, blew the focus but like the pic...
FlamingoesFlamingoes
Flamingoes

...at Lake Nakuru


17th November 2019

So beautiful
Great shot.
1st December 2019
Zebra

Just gorgeous!
I haven't seen many close up photos of zebras with such clarity - well done! They are beautiful creatures, love that white ear :)
4th December 2019
Zebra

Absolutely...
Agreed, mentioned a couple of times that I wasn't expecting much from zebras as they were so abundant, but man up close they are beautiful...the markings are just amazing, was fortunate to pull up beside this herd mere yards away...and the deep orange eyes with black all around, awesome...

Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 13; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0207s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb