Food! Carbohydrates anyone?


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Rift Valley Province » Bomet
August 1st 2011
Published: August 1st 2011
Edit Blog Post

Well...overall the food has been good but we are starting to see a very familiar pattern. Breakfast (at guest house we are staying at) = omelets, sausage (of what variety we are still not quite sure), toast, fruit and the occasional mashed potatoes. Lunch (on the build site cooked by the family we are building for) = rice, potatoes, pasta (in same meal often times), kale, cabbage, beef or chicken (fresh off the homeowners farm), and very often this really great fry bread called chipati (like a tortilla but way better). Dinner (back at guest house) = more rice, potatoes, cabbage, kale, carrots, beef or chicken and more chipati when I'm lucky! Every once in a while we get dessert (breaded and deep fried bananas or pineapple). They spoiled us the first two nights with these desserts and now we find ourselves anxiously waiting for them again.

We have found several types of local Kenyan beer we like at the bar next door to the guest house. It is definitely not in our best interest to stay there and drink it so they have been kind enough to let us take it with us as long as we are sure to return the bottles!

We break for tea every morning. As a rare tea drinker, I have to say it is excellent here. They serve it with these fantastic little biscuits that many of us have eaten lots of. People had designs on losing weight on this trip but for most I don't think that is likely to happen!

Yesterday we had the day off from building so we went to church with the homeowner in the morning and to a tea plantation in the afternoon. We found a good restaurant that had burgers and milk shakes on the menu. When it came time to order we were told there were no burgers or milk shakes and we were back to some of our old Kenya favorites! They did have french fries, which at least changed up the drill a little, as well as some decent fish. Overall, we have started to dream just a bit about what our favorite foods back home are and what we will have to eat upon our return.

Best news of all is that no one has been sick due to the food and no one is really going hungry!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0315s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb