Safari is finished, some went home


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Nyanza Province » Kisumu
July 30th 2006
Published: July 30th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Our UU group finished our 8 day safari yesterday and most of our team flew out last night from Nairobi. During the last week we visited Maasai Mara (migration of wildebeest), Lake Nakuru, Thompson Falls and Samburu Reserve. We went from the plains to the high mountains (cold up there) and down to the desert for a sandstorm at Samburu. Tent camping at its finest and roughest!
Our team worked together and played together. I think we are all closer to each other as a result and I for one feel I made new friends here.
For me the highlights of our safari were not animals (although they were beautiful), but the people we met. Our safari guides and cooks, helpers, are fine people. They work for campingtrackers.com, which I highly recommend to anyone wanting a low cost but good quality camping experience in Kenya. They went out of their way to accommodate us.
The Maasai and Samburu tribes are similar in many ways although separated across distance in Kenya. We saw their dances and talked with them in their villages, including entering their homes (dung huts, surprisingly cool inside). We bought some of their beadwork.
Now I'm back in western Kenya to begin work again at the orphanage. Debbie, Danny and Addie Sublett are with me. Mrs. Agesa just picked us up from the airport. More later. All are well here.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0559s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb