Dehydrated Mzungu


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Nairobi Province
February 5th 2014
Published: June 5th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Around 11 am breakfast had been eaten, pleasantries had been observed and Speck and Caroline were on their way into Nyeri to catch a matatu to Nairobi. On the way a stop was made at a small school where James's children attended. This stop was slightly longer than expected due to once again having gone where they ought not to. James was detained briefly and questioned by the principal and instructed not to bring visitors again without clearing it through him.

The matatu ride was uneventful until it reached the outskirts of Nairobi. The driver missed the exit where he was to release Speck and Caroline so he did the traditional Kenyan thing, he stopped in the highway and let them out. After waiting 45 minutes looking for a matatu going the right route Speck and Caroline walked a kilometer in the wrong direction trying to find the right bus stop. When they realized the mistake, they took a bus to the bus station/ marketplace where they found the correct bus. The correct bus took a similar route to the one they had taken to Bilha's home and even stopped at the same gas station. It seemed that the day was so hot that the radiator was having trouble keeping the engine cool enough and more water had to be added. Eventually they reached the station for Ndurito's house and were on foot again. Caroline took another wrong turn, and after sweating and walking far too long they are finally directed to the police station beside their destination.

Finally able to sit down in the shade Speck and Caroline guzzled water until they could not hold anymore as they ate their much delayed lunch. After resting for a little while they wandered down the road to meet another Kimathi. Speck was starting to feel like this is the Kenyan version of the last name Smith.

After dark Speck and Kimathi caught the last bus into town. During the walk to the next bus stop Caroline sees that the bag on Specks back has come unzipped. They suspect that someone had targeted him to steal from his bag. On the bus back to Donholm they were able to sit in the front seat, Speck's favorite, and soon were back at Mama Junior's. Luckily nothing seemed to be missing from the opened backpack.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0561s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb